camera man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any companies who will video you and take stills why you are at a resort to dive??
Just trying to figure out people that would do that kind of work.

i would imagine some resorts have their own DM's/staff that could do that...maybe ask at prospective resorts you are looking at.

I believe I saw that advertised somewhere on Bonaire and Cozumel (but both were many years ago so I could be mistaken).

---------- Post Merged at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:48 AM ----------

IIRC you are basically paying for a guided dive and a camera rental. CD was included.

It depends on where you are, but it's an excellent question to ask of the staff at the place where you're diving ... there are often people who make their living by making videos and taking pictures of divers, and usually the dive operators have some accommodation with these people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:34 AM ----------

I believe I saw that advertised somewhere on Bonaire and Cozumel (but both were many years ago so I could be mistaken).

---------- Post Merged at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:48 AM ----------

IIRC you are basically paying for a guided dive and a camera rental. CD was included.

I have a DVD at home from one of my early trips to Bonaire that was taken by a woman who came out on the boat with us and video'd the whole group. She then edited it down with some stock footage of local underwater critters and made a DVD that had us in it. The DVD cost us $35 each. We did not pay for her as either a guide or a camera rental ... just for the cost of the DVD. It's a very nice DVD ... despite the fact that I'm in it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Plenty of tropical destinations have freelance videographers. Most but not all stick to the larger boats because it's a numbers game in the end. Exclusive resorts sometimes have a full-time employee to do the same.

Getting a private video (where only you/ your family appear) will cost more than a normal video where you will probably appear for a few shots.

I worked as a videographer in the Maldives and it's pretty full-on. The easy part is doing the dive- then comes the hours of editing which can be extremely painful if you're adjusting colours.

Who would want that job eh? :D

Lots of dive resorts/liveaboards offer that service. Either they're large enough to support it in-house or they contract with someone locally.

A few examples: Photo Roatan - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras - we had our dolphin dive filmed there.
Cathy Church does that at Sunset House: Welcome
Maui seems to be another place it's pretty common. We've often had a videographer on the boat with us - they shot the group and tried to sell the DVD's.
My buddy just did the Manta night dives on Kona and they had someone filming them also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom