Camera for my boy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
My boy (13 going on 14) told me the other day that he would like to have a digital camera. He had a small point and shoot canon film camera - but not for long, his dad broke it. He is also just in the process of getting certified so I would like to get him a camera that he can also use while diving. Would you recommend a camera like the 4000 or the 5050 so that he can learn how to work with settings, but also can work in program mode? Or would you say a point and shoot like the stylus would be the way to go?
Thanks for any help you can give.

something that he can expand, with his experience is always a winner.

Sounds like a great excuse for you to get a DSLR and pass on the C5050 to me :wink:

That is kinda what I thought....

as for my camera...you have such a sweet setup, what would you want the 5050 for???

justleesa:
That is kinda what I thought....

as for my camera...you have such a sweet setup, what would you want the 5050 for???

Oooppsss....Badly worded there - should have read:-

"Sounds to me like a great excuse for you to get a DSLR and pass on the C5050 (to the boy) " :wink:

I think he'd do fine with a C-5050. He'll have the option to use it from point and shoot to full manual as he progresses.

I also have to mention the thing about new divers and cameras! Please make sure he is comfortable, has good bouyancy, etc. before you hand him a camera....you know the speech! :D

Dee:
I also have to mention the thing about new divers and cameras! Please make sure he is comfortable, has good bouyancy, etc. before you hand him a camera....you know the speech! :D

Yes, I know. But it can't be said often enough. :wink: It is definatly a future thing. Eric joined a local dive club and has been doing the pool skills thing for about 9 months now. This Summer, it'll be warmer then, he will be going to a lake to do the OW stuff. Once he gets over here and I see how his skills are...THEN an UW housing will be the next step. I just feel that the posibility to use it as an UW camera is, for me, an important buying factor.

Sounds like a plan! By the time he gets certified and in the water with it, he'll know that thing inside and out.....and will blow us all out of the water! :D One advantage of getting him a C-5050 is you'll be able to give him explicit help. Both of you having the same camera will be so much easier. That was Beasts biggest argument for getting him one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom