Camera Experts: 2.1mp or 3.3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am interested in getting more into digital photography (underwater of course) and I am going to get a new camera. The new Sealife series of digital cameras (I am ONLY looking at the Sealife) has a range of 2.1mp to 3.3mp. Right now I am using their 1.4 model for just point and shoot pictures and it does not do too bad however I would like to get into something a little better. Does anyone have the pros and cons of each? Should I just go ahead and wait for the higher mp camera to come out or will it not be worth it?

I didn't even know that they had come out with a 3.3. I'm looking at the DC300 and 310 right now. From what I can see, the 310 gives more buttons, so more user adjustments while diving.
I'll be interested to hear others comments as well.

There are three new models. The DC250 2.1 mp which I have in my hands as we speak (work at a diveshop,) the DC300 which is 3.3 mp ( I think,) and the DC310 which is the three hundred with more controls.

i am by no means an expert in photography but i would think that there is more to it than just a camera's resolution. However, from my very limited knowledge of this i'd say buy the largest megapixel camera (not size, # of pixels of course) you can buy, especially if you plan on 'blowing up' your picture.

Depends what you want to do with them. For the web the lower mpx it fine but if you wnat to do prints 8X10 you really need 3 mpx. There are lots more things than mpx that make a camera good but since your looking at the same line lenses and other stuff should be similar quality. The other nice thing about more mpx is you can crop better and you can alwas reduce the amount if you wnat to save storage.

pg geek hit the nail on the head

it really depends on what you want to do with your pictures if its just for the web and maybe the occasional 4x6 print then all you will need is a 2.1 mp camera, butif you are wanting to make prints upto 8x10 then you should go with the 3.1.

another thing to look at is the features that the camera offers adjustments of items on the camera (from white balance to shutter and apetuere) now if you plan on a P&S the nauto mode will be fine, but if you want more contorls that will change the

if you have any more questions feel free to ask

from what I have heard the DC310 has there new case. The DC300 has the old DC250 case with a little less than the 3.3 mp the DC310 has. Amazon.com has the DC310 for $550.00 once they are released on the 21st of Aug. I have one on order but still trying to decide between that or buy a strobe for my Canon S45.

Rich

rich52758 once bubbled...
from what I have heard the DC310 has there new case. The DC300 has the old DC250 case with a little less than the 3.3 mp the DC310 has. Amazon.com has the DC310 for $550.00 once they are released on the 21st of Aug. I have one on order but still trying to decide between that or buy a strobe for my Canon S45.

Rich

I'd buy one of the Sony DSC's P7,8,9 or 10. You can get 3,4 or 5 mg pix camera and buy Sony's marine pac for not much more money if you go with the 3.3mg. If you are only going to do 5x7's and 8x10's you won't be able to tell the diff between a 3 or 5 px. You have to get larger to really see the differnece. Use a good laser printer with quality paper and they will be fine........IMO

Thanks for all the information everyone. I am going to go with the 3.3mp camera. After doing a little bit of research I like the flexibility the 310 offers. Hopefully my pictures will turn out a lot better than they have been with my current point-n-shoot.

Hello Everybody:

If anyone interested in the Sealife line of cameras and wants to call the company directly the phone number is 800-257-7742. I called them a couple weeks ago about their new line of cameras and they talked to me at length. unfortunatley, I did not know enough about the subject to ask very good questions.

Does anyone know if the Sealife company manufactures the digitial camera that is inside their housing or if they pay another company to manufacture the camera under their name. I think that information would be helpful in assessing the quality of the digital camera inside the Sealife housing.

The new 310 camera has several buttons on the back of the housing that lets a diver make adjustments underwater, so it is more than a point and shoot camera.

The cost effective way to go is to purchase the SL145 package, which contains the DC310 model camera and strobe for $699. This price point gets you the strobe for about $150, a considerable savings over buying it separately.

But does anybody know if Sealife's strobe is any good or if they actually make the strobe themselves or buy it from another company?

I will post the answer to those questions after I talk to the company later today.

I use a camera for underwater photography 6 days a year, if I am lucky. So spending several hundred dollars for an underwater housing is not cost effective for me. With the Sealife model I can take the digtal camera out of the housing and use it on land. And 3.3 MPs is enough fire power for my printing needs.

I hope this post is helpful. I seem to move from being totally confused to some level of clarity as I process more information then back to being confused as I become lost in my own thought process. But hey, why should my thought process for this purchase be different from anything else I ever think about!

Wish my bottom time was starting now,
Mario:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom