Camera decisions: should I grab a "tough" MJU-8000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zebrax0r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all.

So, I've been thinking about finally getting an underwater housing + camera to start snapping under water with.

I'm lost for choice. There are so many factors and options out there. I've recently come across a newish model from Olympus, being the MJU-8000. It's a "tough" series camera, that can withstand 10m of pressure, and a whole bunch of other pain.

I've considered grabbing the PT-045 housing for it, and running with this, but the other-half recently made a compelling argument:

1. You're paying a premium for a "Toughened" device, which you're going to put in a housing anyway. What's the point in doing that?

2. Why not get a better camera, that isn't "Toughened" and then get the housing, that'll let you take it to 40m, regardless?

To this, my argument is that, given it's a waterproof camera already, it's an added safety mechanism, ontop of having a solid housing/shell for it - so you've got an additional layer of safety/redundancy. If I purchased a "normal" camera, I'd not have that extra safety chute, so to speak.

Thoughts? Should I look elsewhere? Should I go with the MJU-8000? Should I do what the wife suggests and seek out a better camera, and put my faith in the housing 100%?

I'm not keen on spending big big money. I don't dive every weekend, so it's by and large a "when I get the chance" once every couple of months kind of purchase :wink:.

Thanks all.

z

That's what I did-the TS 8000 and the PT-045 housing. I thought of the same 2 points as your other half, but went with your "extra layer of protection" theory. Also, the small size of the camera and housing make packing much easier.

It works for me, and I like the pictures.
3 things-
1) I don't dive locally, so I only use the housing on dive trips, making the $$ for the housing a long term investment.

2) I don't consider myself an "underwater photographer", but rather a "diver who sometimes takes pictures". The distinction means that I am very happy with the picture quality of the 8000. A more discerning/more professional eye might not like them as much (I read a few reviews that said the picture quality was "good" but not "great"-but the complaints were of a technical level that I don't begin to approach.In fact, one of the 8000's selling points for me was the fact that you had almost "full automatic" programming, meaning fewer things to putz with- things that I really didn't want to devote time to-while enjoying a dive.

3)I have a tray and strobe that I used to use with an Oly C5050, that works nicely with the 8000-and the strobe helps. (I haven't tried the camera using just the built in flash.)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi all.

So, I've been thinking about finally getting an underwater housing + camera to start snapping under water with.

I'm lost for choice. There are so many factors and options out there. I've recently come across a newish model from Olympus, being the MJU-8000. It's a "tough" series camera, that can withstand 10m of pressure, and a whole bunch of other pain.

I've considered grabbing the PT-045 housing for it, and running with this, but the other-half recently made a compelling argument:

1. You're paying a premium for a "Toughened" device, which you're going to put in a housing anyway. What's the point in doing that?

2. Why not get a better camera, that isn't "Toughened" and then get the housing, that'll let you take it to 40m, regardless?

To this, my argument is that, given it's a waterproof camera already, it's an added safety mechanism, ontop of having a solid housing/shell for it - so you've got an additional layer of safety/redundancy. If I purchased a "normal" camera, I'd not have that extra safety chute, so to speak.

Thoughts? Should I look elsewhere? Should I go with the MJU-8000? Should I do what the wife suggests and seek out a better camera, and put my faith in the housing 100%?

I'm not keen on spending big big money. I don't dive every weekend, so it's by and large a "when I get the chance" once every couple of months kind of purchase :wink:.

Thanks all.

z

Your points are logical but some other questions remain:
1. This camera does not have any manual controls over F stops and shutter speeds thereby requiring it to be used in the auto mode. Is that okay with you?
2. Read the reviews on the camera as several have criticized the picture quality.
3. There are some underwater shooting modes which should be investigated for picture quality when not using the on-board flash. There is no "custom" white balance so if the "underwater" mode is not satisfactory you will have to do post-processing in Photoshop, or the like, to get decent pictures. Typically "auto" white balance with no strobe produces "blueish" photos. I don't know what the "underwater" mode on this camera produces. There is no substitute for "custom" white balance when shooting JPG's underwater. At least the "underwater" mode is better than the "auto" white balance mode.

I don't think you should buy the camera strictly for the waterproof feature. There are many cameras on the market with the same or better features for less money if you are also going to add the cost of an underwater housing.

Good luck with your choice.

That's what I did-the TS 8000 and the PT-045 housing. I
2) I don't consider myself an "underwater photographer", but rather a "diver who sometimes takes pictures". The distinction means that I am very happy with the picture quality of the 8000.

This probably describes me pretty well. I'm not an underwater photographer, per se. Just someone that would like to take a few shots UW, when I have the opportunity. My experience of faffing around with camera-hardware underwater by and large makes the experience a little less enjoyable, at times, unless you are in very calm waters.

Basically, it's a "now and then" kind of thing. In this respect, it sounds like the 8000 + strobe would be a decent choice. However...

I don't think you should buy the camera strictly for the waterproof feature. There are many cameras on the market with the same or better features for less money if you are also going to add the cost of an underwater housing.

Hrrrrm. OK. On that basis, what models would you suggest for someone just getting into UW snaps, who only wants it as a now-and-then style device?

Thanks guys!

z

My experience of faffing around with camera-hardware underwater by and large makes the experience a little less enjoyable, at times, unless you are in very calm waters.

Basically, it's a "now and then" kind of thing. In this respect, it sounds like the 8000 + strobe would be a decent choice. However...

Hrrrrm. OK. On that basis, what models would you suggest for someone just getting into UW snaps, who only wants it as a now-and-then style device?

Thanks guys!

You mention not wanting to be "faffing around" with camera hardware but you also mention "+ a strobe".
Having a point and shoot camera and a strobe translates to "faffing around".
I don't like to recommend a specific camera unless I have used it. There are just too many of them on the market.

If you are going to add a strobe then you have to buy a tray/arm. The strobe will likely be fired via a fiber optic cable that attaches to the exterior of the housing. Having spent the money on a strobe+tray/arm I would get a camera that has manual controls and custom white balance. Even if you don't use them at first you may graduate to them later. They will yield better photos.

If you don't want to be faffing around underwater then skip the strobe and still get a camera with at least the "underwater" shooting mode.

If you want the option of getting a strobe at a later date + better picture quality then get a camera with manual controls and "custom" white balance capability.

Take a look at the Canon line of cameras and their respective specifications. There is bound to be one there to suit your needs. Canon makes a housing for most of their cameras and at a reasonable price. An exception is their models that have the pop-up flash.
Almost all their cameras have image stabilization.
Some have a 2.5" screen and some a 3". Of course the bigger the better underwater.
Some have a 28mm lens which offers a wider angle than the 35mm.
Long zoom is not important underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom