Camera decisions, decisions. What would you buy ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think bvanant was calculating without the cameras.

i would suggest:
< 1000$: S90, Canon housing, one Intova strobe,fantasea tray and flexarm
Why? Best bang for the buck on a small budget

< 2000$: G10/11/s90, Ikelite housing, 2 x Inon s-2000 strobe, tray and flexarms
Why: better housing than the canon and 2 strobes

< 3000: G10/G11/s90, Patima/Fix housing, 2 x Inon Z-240, tray and ball arms
Why? The best quality and sturdiest solution for this amount, universal strobes.

A new, economic DSLR rig with one strobe and 3 lenses will cost from 5000 upwards, while a used one may be possible to find in good conditions.

Chris

Unless you are very serious about photography, dive a whole bunch in conditions great for photography and have a hankering to publish photos or project/print at large magnificent you should stay with a so called P&S like the advanced G11 or S90 and I would get a FIX housing for either.

Backsatter has some package deals on a FIX with G11 or S90, strobe, tray and UWL-04 wide angle lens.

A wide angle lens like the UWL-04 and a pair of Inon S2000 strobes or YS01 strobes would greatly improve your green water shoots. From the sound of it your position simply does not warrant a dSLR unless you can pick up a used outfit and even then it might not even be the best tool for your diving.

N

I ended up with a Sea and Sea DX-2G with 2 of the ys110a strobes.I checked the pricing on Scubatoys for the package. With the wide angle lens and the drybox the whole thing was $2775 with the 10% SB discount. A local shop was willing to sell me the package for $2800 and I am happy with the camera so far. (My usually LDS would have sold me the same setup for over $3500) I have only used the camera in the water a few times but I really like the quality of the pics. I cant wait to play with the strobes and the wide angle lens.

I picked this camera because I can grow with it as my photography gets better. And the camera is pretty nice on land as well. I took it to SoCal and we got some pretty good shots all over the place as well as a few from underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom