Camera Decision: Sealife dc500 or Sea&Sea dx750

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

briank92587

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to underwater photography and want to buy either a Sealife dc500 digital or a Sea & Sea dx-750g. Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in Advance.

I got one of the first ones to be available last summer. When it takes pictures, it takes great pictures. I used it on a recent trip to Dominica and got some great shots.

However, I've had significant battery problems with it. Now on my third battery. In fact I sent it back to the mfgr after the Dominica trip due to battery problem.

I work (volunteer) at my LDS and talk with lots of photo divers. Some are having problems with the Sea & Sea camera as well. I believe that both are new and pushing the technology to get small underwater. That's a challange.

There another thread that I recently read about a guy who had an older Sealife. He dove with it, it leaked, it was his fault and Sealife replaced it without question. He bought used and out of warranty. That's customer service!!

Despite my problems, I'd still vote for the DC500. Once they fix the battery problem, I'm sure it will consistently take great pictures.

That's the price that I pay to get a brand new model and the growing pains that go with it.

PM me if you want any more.

PS> Make sure that you get the strobe and Wide angle lens.

Hey some point n' shoot cams with corresponding housings are just the thing... but that Sealife customer service story is definitely a head start in their direction.

My first cam was a Canon a520 and canon housing... took sweet pics under water and also on land. I learned a lot with that camera and also from this board. I just gave that setup to my girlfriend so she could play around and I upgraded to a G6.

I have to agree get a a point and shoot with a cheap housing. I have the canon A620 with the WP-dc90 housing and I love it.
I can not recommend the DC500. I bought the DC500 before xmas and I didn't like the picture quality at all. It also stopped working after the 3rd day and so I returned it. My friend bought the DC500 and it drowned on his first dive he has a olympus now.

briank92587:
I am new to underwater photography and want to buy either a Sealife dc500 digital or a Sea & Sea dx-750g. Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in Advance.

I have the DC310, and have thought about upgrading to DC500. One reason I haven't, and probably won't, is the custom battery required by the DC500. The dx-750g uses AA's which for me is a big bonus because I can buy high quality, brand name rechargeable AA's at fairly low prices instead of having to get some mediocre yet expensive custom cell and custom recharger for it.

There is quite a bit of information about the DC500 available in previous threads.
Just do a search for DC500..

--- bill

Back
Top Bottom