Camera Bag selection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A slightly different take on the question: What carry on cases for this amount of gear would you be willing to gate check without having a coronary?

Flying back from Cayman last year they switched planes on us due to a mechanical problem with the flight we were supposed to be on. The replacement plane was a cargo/passenger plane. (I didn't know there was a difference until I tried to stow my carry on in the over head. The over heads were a lot smaller than on a normal plane, and my bag did not fit. I had to check it, and was nervous the whole flight. I kept telling myself that I had insurance, and that at least it was not on the way to Cayman. Luckily it was waiting for me when I got off the plane.

It also helped that my 1,800 plus images from the trip were on the portable hard drive that was in my back pack. I would not have let go of that.

One piece of advise I would offer to anyone travelling with photography equipment is this:
Print out the baggage policy from the airlines website. If you have a hard copy of their policy with you it can save a lot of problems.

Some problems with gate/baggage personnel comes from the fact that they either don't know their own companies rules, or that they are changing the rules for their own reasons.

I started doing this after a trip to Dominica. We were on a group photography trip several years ago. The AA counter personnel in Dominica had no clue about the companies baggage rules. When we tried to leave the country they were not going to let us take all of our bags with us. When they could not give us an answer on what would happen to our bags that did not get on the flight things got a bit heated.

We asked if we could pay an excess baggage fee, we asked if the baggage would be put on a later flight, we asked if our bags would be sold at the local flea market after we left, we even asked if their family was going to be using it after we were gone. All questions were answered with a shrug of the shoulders.

Luckily, someone in the group had the rules printed out from the AA website. They even agreed to take our baggage allowance as a lump sum amount for the whole group. (There were a couple of non-photographers in the group with a lot less luggage.)

They took us as couples (or as singles) into a security room. In the room was an airline counter person, a baggage scale, and a security officer with an automatic weapon. First they weighed our checked bags, and wrote the information down. Even though they were taking the group as a whole there were still limits on the individual bag weights.

My wife and I were called into the room. They first weighed my wife’s checked bag, wrote down the number, and put it aside. Next they weighed her carry on bag, wrote down the number, and gave it back to her.

It was then my turn. They weighed my checked bag, and it was over the limit. I took batteries, chargers, and odds and ends out of it until it was just at the limit. I put these items in my carry on bag. Once they had written don the weight it was time for my carry on. It was now over the limit. Right in front of the airline employee, and the armed security guard, I took things out of my carry on, and put them back in my checked bag, until the carry on was within limits. I was waiting for them to realize what I was doing and stop me, but they never did.

All of our luggage made it onto the plane, and I did not get shot.

The part I usually have trouble with is the dome port. Finding a case that will fit a housing, pair of strobes and the dome port makes the case prohibitively large for carry-on. Attached are a couple of photos showing a Rubbermaid container that I found that fits the dome, shade, and neoprene cover perfectly ($8 at Wal-Mart). This protects the port well enough that I have no qualms putting it in my dive bag (wrapped in a beach towel or wetsuit for additional buffer).

As far as the case goes, I have been using a Underwater Kenetics case for years (photo attached). Last fall we traveled to La Paz and the best frequent flyer flights I could find involved long layovers in two major airports - I really did not want to lug the UK case through ORD and LAX... I had an old carry-on roller bag that was very close in size to the UK case. I was able to pull all of the liner materials out and it fit the very snugly into the roller bag. The UK case itself stayed behind, but the bag packed exactly as shown in the photo. A towel or two took out any gaps and the old bag worked great. As a side benefit, the raggity old roller bag draws no attention.

A last minute call to AA got us on a flight through DFW so the layovers were avoided, but the case worked out great for the entire trip. I wouldn't be any more concerned about the roller bag getting checked than the UK case, but after sustaining damage to numerous pieces of camera gear, I will avoid checking my camera case at nearly all cost.

Attachments

• PortCase.jpg
    PortCase.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 33
  • PortCaseH.jpg
    PortCaseH.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 29
  • UKCase.jpg
    UKCase.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom