Came up too quickly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janko

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I am a little concerned.

My girlfriend and I dove yesterday (boat dive) at about 10am, to 20 metres, for approx. 20 minutes. The dive was beyond our skill level and we elected not to dive the second scheduled dive of the day. (There are no other previous dives involved at all here)

There were lots of things that contributed to this dive being beyond us:

1) we had never done boat dives and were sort of seasick before going down, and after coming up. I even threw up at one point. (this went away immediately after I got back on land)
2) we were using all new equipment, we weren't used to it.
3) there was nobody leading us as there had been on all our previous dives.
4) I believe we surfaced too quickly, and didn't spend nearly enough time at a safety stop, mainly because we were stressed by the dive and weren't enjoying it.
5) we are inexperienced, about 5 dives each.

Last night, about 10hrs after the dive, my girlfriend felt a little nauseous (I felt OK). It has been 24 hrs now and no pins and needles, no swelling, no rashes, no persistent joint pain, no telltale DCS symptoms on either of us. Aside from her nausea yesterday, and my worries about every little muscle ache I've had since the dive, I don't have any reason to suspect DCS but I need some more opinions.

Is her nausea alone reason to suspect something is seriously wrong? She was unable to have anything to eat, and was a little motionsick on a bus, etc. (She is completely lucid and aware, there are no concerns about unconciousness or changed behaviour at all, and she says it's probably just the boat ride, too much time in the sun, etc.)

The concern is that we are supposedly going to visit mountains this afternoon (3300 ft.) and she flies Monday afternoon from Australia to Canada. I don't want to aggravate anything by going to altitude, but I also don't want to ruin weekend and flight plans for something that is just psychosomatic and due to inexperience.

Opinions?

Since no MD's have answered yet, I would like to assure you pending their response, which you should wait for before going to altitude.

It is highly unlikely you have DCS I (bends) because you were well within NDL's, you say about half the 40 minute limit for 70 feet (21.3 meters), and you are not showing symptoms as described.

There was also no overly rapid ascent with holding of breathe as you described it, and consistent with that, there are no overexpansion injury symptoms or neurological DCS.

I would not worry about the nausea, it may be she swallowed abit of seawater or her stomach is still upset from the boat ride and dive. Should be better now. Take a Gravol or similar medication.

Make sure to check your and her ENT if you haven't already, when seeing your GP to take away the possibility of vertigo caused by ear problems or squeezes which can cause nausea.

It would appear to me you are fine and you displayed good judgement in shortening a dive which was not being enjoyed.

Next time dive new equipment in the pool before going open water with it.

If any symptoms appear I suggest you seek medical attention.

I am not an MD and this is not in any way suggesting a medical diagnosis.

20 meters for 20 minutes is only slightly more than half the NDL for 21 meters. Even without a safety stop I would be surprised if her symptoms were DCS related. Seems like your girlfriend hasn't completely recovered from the sea sickness or maybe nervousness from the worry over the possibility of DCS.

Captain

Thanks guys. I also contacted DAN just in case and they said the same things as you.

Live and learn, especially if you are a dumb newbie like me.

Denial is dangerous. You did the right thing to ask.

Hi Janko:

I hope are are a bit more at ease. It costs nothing to ask.

Dr D.

Sure you weren't following one of Scubaholic's dive profiles? (Check Accidents and Incidents---if you haven't already). :) Just kidding. Seriously, it's better to have worried and for it and to have been for naught, than not to have worried at all and for it to turn out to be a problem. I felt terribly sick to my stomach last weekend, but it turned out to be from Burger King, and not the dive. Whew!!! I can empathize about the boat sickness. Although I've been out a number of times, I've fed the fish on a few occasions! Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom