Came across an older manifold and bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
I came across an ad on craigslist for two sets of AL80 doubles cheap and had a GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) attack and bought them sight unseen. My wife picked them up while I was at work and when I got home I found they didn't have the traditional highlands style bands and isolation manifold. Both sets had a US Divers solid J-valve manifold. One set had some butchered bands that I'm guessing were used with LP72's on a backpack. However, the other set had some bands with cuts in them for a harness I guess.

I need the AL80s for stage/deco bottles so those are going in for a viz (still had current hydro). But I'm not quite sure what to do with the manifold and bands. I was going to put them up on the auction site but I started having visions of diving with Mike Nelson so I thought I may set up a vintage set and dive them.

Anyway, a couple of questions:
1. Can anyone point me to a diagram, pic, etc. of what type of harness was used with these?
2. Can anyone point me to a website that explains how folks used to dive without a BC? I'm guessing I could use a horse collar, but I don't recall ever seeing a horse collar on the old Sea Hunt episodes.

Thanks,
Tony

Attachments

• PA316413.jpg
    PA316413.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 49
  • PA316414.jpg
    PA316414.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 58
  • PA316415.jpg
    PA316415.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 64

Attachments

• DSC02315 (Small).JPG
    DSC02315 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0197_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0197_edited-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 44
I think I'm gonna get one of those harnesses and try this out!

Kanynot2000,

I think you'll be surprised at how comfortable the military harness is, and will enjoy the unit a lot. That is a really nice manifold too. Here are some photos of the military harness.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Samo bagging fish in Okanawa.jpg
    Samo bagging fish in Okanawa.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 35
  • USN Military Harness.jpg
    USN Military Harness.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom