Calypso IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an older Aqua Lung Calypso IV first and second stage regulator. Are parts still available for this reg for serviceing? I have an old Dacor second stage for an octopus on first stage also.I can't tell you which one that is since I bought these back in 1978.They haven't been used since 1980 but I am planning on putting them and me back in service.

don't think you can get official kits anymore for either. might have a shot at getting replacement parts as needed through vintagedoublehose.com

the parts are almost all available through the Trident catalog, too.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Calypso IV is supported by Aqualung anymore. The O-rings can be sourced anywhere, the main problem is the seat. I have read (never tried) that if you flip the seat on these regulators they are able to be reused. There are some older threads on here discussing it.

The problem you will have is that most dive shops will not service a regulator that it cannot get parts for. So you would be stuck servicing them yourself. Dacor went out of business but the second stage should be able able to be serviced with aftermarket parts from Trident.

You may want to try posting in the vintage diving forum to see if anyone knows of a source for the seat.

Thanks for the replies. It sure would be worth it if the regs could be serviced.I've been away from diving for quite some years and noticed that the price of all new equipment is really way up there compared to what I paid back in the day.Those regs,although reconized as entry level,by today's standards,one would say ,have been on ice dives and deep dives down to 220 foot.Of course,they are not supposed to be good for any of that.Right? I must have been lucky.I never had a problem with them.Knock on wood!But I sure have to hand it to the scuba manufactures.They put out some really very nice stuff now-a-days. It's a diver's paradise. SB is mighty good stuff too.

The Calypso was supposed to be the top US Divers (now Aqua Lung) regulator of its time. It can easily be compared to the top regulators of today. The Conshelf (from the same time period) turn out to be the better first stage and they are not only still being supported, most Aqua Lung regulators are direct decedents and share several of the key components.

You can service the Calypso or get a used Conshelf (from eBay, etc.) of the same time period and end up with a great regulator.

Aqualung/ US Divers quit making the HP seat for this regulator a long time ago. That would be your biggest challenge to get. Good Luck.

NOS HP seats for the original Calypso are very difficult to find but NOS HP seats for the Calypso IV are available from sources other than the original manufacturer .....The seats on the 70's 80's era rarely go bad and can often be brought back to life with a little polishing. Calypso regulators in this series are tough as nails, reliable and easy to service. I'm working on service kits for the 1st stage of the Calypso, Calypso IV and Calypso J. Send me an E-mail for more information.

Last edited:
Well,I just took my regs over to the old scuba shop where I was a PADI instructor some 36 years ago and they are going to see what they can muster up for service and parts.They say it'll take about a week so we'll see what happens.I did look at a MK-25/600 while there. Boy,I sure hope they can get my old one up and running.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom