Calling from Coz/Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christie - you be the one to figure this out on the internet phone thing - and then tell me!!! My phone bills are astronomical!!!

I know the concept of not being able to just get the services you want at your house or store seems strange to people, but it is our way of life down here. For YEARS there were no phone lines available in our neighborhood where we live, I would go to the phone company constantly checking to see if anyone had given up a line because I wanted one so bad! Then a couple of years ago they FINALLY were going to add some phone lines in our neighborhood, when they came around to offer us a line I paused & thought - I have lived for 12 years without a home phone or computer, I can continue! We didn't order it.
We have phone (if it doesn't rain hard - if it rains hard we loose our phone line for DAYS every time!!!) & wireless DSL(well most of the time anyway!!) here at the store - and since this is where I am most hours of the day - I continue to choose to be unreachable at the house - actually it is really nice never to hear a phone ring when you get home!!!

OK...I have excellent news! the same company that is providing the wireless internet also offers voiceover IP...which is what Vonage is. $30 per month unlimited calls to the US!!! He has more equipment arriving in the next couple of weeks and then I'm in!!!!

richhagelin:
What's the best way to call the US from Cancun and/or Cozumel? I did the TELMEX card last time and I never could get it to work from the pay phone at Cancun airport.

Is there some secret to using it? Is there a better way?

Rich Hagelin

The First few times we went to Cozumel we got the Telmex phone cards, you must use a Telmex phone, oh and remember to dial the us code first 011 I think, I forget.

This last time we actavated our sprint phones for international roaming, cost $4.00 up front and .50 cents a minute, worked very well, and then when you get home cancel the International roaming.

We forgot and got billed for two months ( ohhh well )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom