Calling all snowbunnies & cold weather lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I need some help shopping for an upcoming trip to the cold and freezing this Jan/Feb. I have little need for seriously cold weather gear where I live and I'm having to do all of this online. Here's what I need:

- a jacket. I will be outside in very cold conditions. There may be rain, so waterproof is a must. There will be wind, so windproof is a must, too. I will be moving around a lot - I'll be photo'ing and this means standing, climbing, sitting, laying on the ground etc. I will also be carrying a camera backpack. Ideally, I'd like this jacket to also look nice and be "flattering", too. I'd love to keep the budget at about $150 USD max for this.

- boots. Again, nice and warm coz I am totally cold blooded. Would love to have something that could go out for a casual dinner but also do some light walking/clambering over stuff.

I have a pretty strict luggage allowance and I have a ton of stuff to pack, so lightweight on all of this stuff is essential.

I don't mind the slightly fun & funky look without getting too crazy and I'm happy with more classic styles, too.

Basically, I want to be warm and toasty, but look good doing it LOL

All links appreciated!

Well, I moved here to get away from the cold, so I don't know if I count, but I'd start with:

Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more
L.L.Bean - Warm up with Turtlenecks, Fleece, Flannel Sheets and More

You'll have to check the sizing...I had to buy clothes in Sydney, and I recall that the sizing is different. BTW, I use some of the Land's End long undies as a first layer under my drysuit. Do you want a parka or a shorter jacket?

Patagonia and Columbia often have some nicely styled things, but I think Patagonia can be pricey.

As for the boots, I find it hard to order footwear online, even with my new and improved left foot. Both of these sources will have warm foot wear, though, and I love the polartec socks!

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Thanks! I forgot about Land's End.

I've been to Cabela's, REI, Gander Mountain...

I think I want a slightly longer jacket - not one that sits right at the waist.

I'd love to be able to try things on, but it's not a reality this time so I'm just going to gamble!

If you are not going to be making much use of the cold weather gear after your trip may I recommend another option. In fact, I live in a cold-weather climate (and I live to ski) and I use this option rather than heavy-weather gear - use layering. Its more versatile, and if things warm up you'll not be stuck sweating your balls (or whatever) off in an overly-warm parka.

On top:
Outer layer - gortex, or similar material shell. These materials are waterproof, windproof and breathable. You can either use a straight shell, or get one with a small amount of insulation. I prefer the shell route, as with proper care, the shell will outlast the insulation.

Middle layer - polar fleece jacket. For this layer straight fleece will do; a fleece with an outer "shell" will just make things bulky, and your gortex shell will provide all the wind/rain resistance you need. Thicker is better, but try to match it to the temps you expect. No point spending extra $$$ for one that's good to 10 degrees colder than your worst-case-scenario

Inner layer - wicking shirt. Basically get one of those running shirts that breathe like there's no tomorrow. I'd get 2 - one short sleeved (for warm days) and one long sleeved (for colder days).

As long as you don't go too fancy, the above shouldn't cost more than a mid-range quality parka.

For the legs:
You'll probably just have to get fleece-lined ski pants. You can go a similar route to what I outlined above - gortex outer, fleece pants and a wicking layer, but that's quite expensive. Worth the money if you do lots of outdoorsy-things, not worth it for the odd ski trip.

With my setup I'm good to -15C (while skiing, meaning I'm warm after a run, but don't freeze on the lifts; I'm not too familiar with the whole fahrenheit thing, but I think thats about 0F).

If you're worried about really cold temps, make sure the shell and fleece is big enough to cram a sweater between the fleece and wicking shirt. I do a lot of winter camping, and using that setup I've been out in below -40C, and been comfortable while doing it (and sitting around ice fishing and whatnot).

Aside from the practical advantages of this system, you may be able to use the pieces individually at home, or on different trips. Gortex jackets make great rain and spring/fall jackets, fleece is nice on those colder days (or to warm up in after a dive). And hey, we should all have running shirts in case we decide to go running one day ;-)

Bryan

EDIT: I forgot to add - a bum length shell is a good idea (keeps snow from going down your backside if/when you fall), but I'd avoid putting much else around your waist as it can hamper your mobility and get in the way of your poles.

EDIT #2: I now see you're from Australia, so I guess I didn't need to worry about the fahrenheit thing...

Depends what you mean by cold, but Warthaug has it right. Layers. I live in Vancouver which rarely gets really cold. We get snow once maybe twice a year, but we get rain what seems to be every day in the winter. 5 to 10 degrees C is typical all winter long. Everybody dresses in layers - who wants a coat that is great the three days of the year that it gets to minus 5. Just add another layer or two for the day.

Something light but waterproof and windproof on the outside. Make sure it breaths however. Then layer inside that to deal with the temperature of the moment. You can be comfortable across a much larger range of weather with this approach.

Don't forget your head. There is a reason Canadians wear touques. You need something to keep your head dry and warm when it gets really cold. Same applies for your hands.

Ski gear is a good place to look for clothing that can handle really cold conditions. i.e. - 15 and below.

With the baggage limits and the uncertainty of sizes, have you considered waiting until you are close to, or at, your final destination to make your purchases?

Then you also have the option of shipping the stuff home.

Just a thought.

Art

define cold.......North Slope cold, or Utah cold?

I like NorthFace and Columbia clothing, many different styles and most are Outer shell/inner lining systems which make layering easy. Lightweight waterproof Gortex boots are my choice during the winter, if I'm hiking/walking in the woods.

Great advice all. I grew up in the cold and then lived in San Francisco so know that layers are the way to go. I just need to find them now :wink:

Cold = cruising through Antarctica and wandering around penguin colonies cold. Deck of cruise ship watching ice bergs cold.

The original plan was to wait and shop, but the flights didn't work so I'm going straight into the trip with no shopping time.

I have my hats, scarves and mittens/gloves already, so I'm covered there.

Got a good link for some wicking undergarments, so just looking for that outer layer now...and shoes. Shoes are always so hard to make functional and reasonably fit for going out.

For that level of cold I would go to my local ski shops. Might not be as much choice in OZ as here with Whistler just up the road and 3 local ski hills a 20 minute drive away but that gear is designed for extreme conditions and to make snow bunnies look good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom