Call for actual flooding claim experiences with State Farm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

After reading pretty much every post about flood insurance on this board and interviewing my state farm agent, there is still one question in my head that I have not been able to figure out. I'm hoping to get some responses from people who have had actual claims from flooding that they submitted to state farm. State Farm insurance does not cover "damage from wear and tear." To me this suggests that it might be impossible to get replacement from them in the event of flooding for no obvious reason, such as a housing seal gone bad.

Has anyone here experienced this type of flooding and how it was settled with the insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Two issues here: "flood insurance" per se is covered by the Federal Flood Insurance program and covers rising water from flood conditions such as rivers and ditches overflowing, hurricane driven water etc.......the "wear & tear" exclusion in the State Farm policy is not related to this coverage. A second of covered peril is from "water damage" such as broken pipes, failure of a water heater, rain water coming into the house from a tree falling through the roof, etc.....this also is a covered peril in the "broad form" policy or the Ho 4 or Ho5 policy written thru State Farm I had a pipe located along the slab break and flood the subfloor which caused buckling of the wood floors requiring replacement of the wood floor....this is a covered event and State Farm paid in full...no hassel no problems. They will not pay under the exclusion for any damage which results from normal wear and tear......for example they will not replace water lines that begin to leak at the solder joint due to aging. Hope that helps

Hi all,

After reading pretty much every post about flood insurance on this board and interviewing my state farm agent, there is still one question in my head that I have not been able to figure out. I'm hoping to get some responses from people who have had actual claims from flooding that they submitted to state farm. State Farm insurance does not cover "damage from wear and tear." To me this suggests that it might be impossible to get replacement from them in the event of flooding for no obvious reason, such as a housing seal gone bad.

Has anyone here experienced this type of flooding and how it was settled with the insurance?

Thanks in advance.
One of my friends, who is not on this board, has made no less than two claims on his flooded UW camera system and they paid in full with no problems. He told me that he thinks there must have been some small particle on the o-ring when he prepped the camera. I am assuming that he told them the same. He recommended State Farm to me and I used them for a short period too. I never made a claim myself.

Edit: I know this is not a first hand experience recommendation for you. It was, however, for me :D

Two issues here: "flood insurance" per se is covered by the Federal Flood Insurance program and covers rising water from flood conditions such as rivers and ditches overflowing, hurricane driven water etc.......the "wear & tear" exclusion in the State Farm policy is not related to this coverage. A second of covered peril is from "water damage" such as broken pipes, failure of a water heater, rain water coming into the house from a tree falling through the roof, etc.....this also is a covered peril in the "broad form" policy or the Ho 4 or Ho5 policy written thru State Farm I had a pipe located along the slab break and flood the subfloor which caused buckling of the wood floors requiring replacement of the wood floor....this is a covered event and State Farm paid in full...no hassel no problems. They will not pay under the exclusion for any damage which results from normal wear and tear......for example they will not replace water lines that begin to leak at the solder joint due to aging. Hope that helps

Although everything you said is technically correct and sound, I have to wonder if you read the same initial post I did.

pterandon, unfortunately I can't give you any advice. I do have a State Farm personal article policy on my camera, housings, etc. All of which worked fine and failed to flood on my trip. I did specifically ask the agents (for what THAT's worth...they're just the middlemen after my commision, it's the underwriter's word later that matters) and was told wear and tear means through 'normal' use. Ceasing to function because of being immersed in salt water doesn't exactly seem to qualify as 'wear and tear' to me, but maybe having some salt deposits scratching your lens if cleaned carelessly, might.

Consider the car insurance example: wear to your tires is not covered. Damage to the car from sideswiping a guard rail as a result of a blowout, which may have been originally the 'fault' of tire wear, is covered. Similarly an 'old' o-ring might not itself be covered (no free replacements) but if the camera floods, it should be. They can try to fight that you didn't do proper maintenance, but then the policy ought to outline your requirements documenting proper handling ahead of time.

I did see a couple posts by people with PAP's on the other threads - hopefully one of them will chime in for you.

Looks like I am the poster child. Flooded housing due to rig attempting a two and a half back flip with half twist after our sail boat hit an "unusual" swell. Housing and camera bounced off toe rail into the drink. State Farm was great.

Particles on an o-ring is not wear and tear. If you have expensive gear be sure to carry it as a scheduled item. The easiest way I have found is to list purchase dates, prices, serial numbers in a spreadsheet, and on a a separate sheet scan receipts so you and the insurance company have a digital record.

May you never need to submit a flooded housing claim!

Dan

Although everything you said is technically correct and sound, I have to wonder if you read the same initial post I did.

pterandon, unfortunately I can't give you any advice. I do have a State Farm personal article policy on my camera, housings, etc. All of which worked fine and failed to flood on my trip. I did specifically ask the agents (for what THAT's worth...they're just the middlemen after my commision, it's the underwriter's word later that matters) and was told wear and tear means through 'normal' use. Ceasing to function because of being immersed in salt water doesn't exactly seem to qualify as 'wear and tear' to me, but maybe having some salt deposits scratching your lens if cleaned carelessly, might.

Consider the car insurance example: wear to your tires is not covered. Damage to the car from sideswiping a guard rail as a result of a blowout, which may have been originally the 'fault' of tire wear, is covered. Similarly an 'old' o-ring might not itself be covered (no free replacements) but if the camera floods, it should be. They can try to fight that you didn't do proper maintenance, but then the policy ought to outline your requirements documenting proper handling ahead of time.

I did see a couple posts by people with PAP's on the other threads - hopefully one of them will chime in for you.

RTRski; You are absolutely right....I misread the post ....sorry about that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom