Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An update on the new CALIPSO - she has offered an intro rate for the remainder of 2019 of $1000 off regular rates. That makes her 2019 rates $5295 less $1000 - $4295 pp. That also includes free WiFi (subject to change) so although she is still in the yard, she would be a very good deal for those planning a trip to Galapagos in 2019. Contact us if you need more details or wish to check spaces dom@diveadvice.com

Quick question on the Galapagos Aqua since it was the Astrea before. (which didn't get that high of a review in general). I am looking to contact the owner and see if I can pull off a charter in 2021. Does anyone know how to contact them? Everything I found online was through agencies.

Thanks.

To glee719, I was told to contact "Andean Travel Company" (Andean Travel Company / DMC Ecuador Tour Operator) b/c supposedly they own Aqua & a few other naturalist boats in Galapagos. I have gotten a reply from them via email so far, but still have yet hear here back a 2nd time.

To all, any review & comments on Aqua would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks Dom! That's very helpful inputs.
Hoping to get more information of Calipso as a newly refurbished vessel sounds like an attractive deal at more than US$2000 less per pax.

If you visit CalipsoDive.com, we have a ton of information about Calipso. I highly recommend the FAQ sections. On the blog, there are construction update photos. The last photos I was able to upload are of actual finished cabins. And please, visit us on Facebook.

Currently, the work left to be done is just finishing work...staining cabinetry, installing lighting fixtures and plugs in the salon and dining area, dive deck fittings (installing the diver stations, rinse tank, camera, table) etc. We wouldn't dare install all the stainless fixtures on the dive deck until last to avoid dents and dings. There is a crew of 46 working on Calipso.

As I said, cabins are finished, complete with all furniture and fixtures. The jacuzzi is installed on the sundeck. All rental equipment (new ScubaPro), new Catalina tanks, all orders from the US have arrived. Equipment like sonar, GPS antennas and various communication/safety equipment will be installed last to avoid theft prior to use.

Simultaneous with all finishing work is the paperwork . I remember my friend Mathias said of his daily dive boat years ago that once the process was done, he was going to put it all in his boat and see if it sunk the boat.

Final paperwork is underway and hopefully we have the right people in place to diminish delays on the mainland as a result of corruption. Galapagos National Park has assured us we will have no delay in paperwork with them.

My god, after all this I have a whole new level of awareness. I've gut renovated a house, but that is like a walk in the park compared to this process. Calipso owners went above and beyond every step of the way with all new top of the line equipment: Cummins motors, Bauer compressor, ScubaPro rental gear, Catalina tanks, Nautilus Lifelines on down the line. It was all done right.

Special touches, too. All TVs in cabins are hard wired for on demand video and audio options. A video cable (power source) was hard wired so we can drop a video camera under the boat to livestream the marine life on the TV in the salon when we're not in motion. Wi fi.

Calipso has been years in the making and is about to be a great option in Galapagos. Owners are not distant investors. Their father was a Galapagos fisherman. 2 live in Galapagos and 2 on the mainland. They are a hard working, highly educated family who literally sold the family farm, got loans, invested their collective savings, etc to realize this project. If you meet them, they are such good people, you can't help but wish the best for them. I'm sure there are some jaded agencies who have met them and can chime in to agree with that.

In case you're wondering about the name, yes, there is history. May Calipso follow in their namesake's famous footsteps of being associated with an abundance of marine life and the thrill of discovery.

Booked a trip on Galapagos Aqua for end May. Can update our experiences after the trip. Hopefully they use the period March-May to ramp up the experience

Can you share how was your trip? How is the boat? The shared rooms? The rented gear? The dives? I also plan to do this trip on the Galapagos Aqua and will appreciate any tips.

She is not operating as yet. After many delays, went into the water last week and after sea trials we hope she will head to the Galapagos this week. First trip scheduled for July 9. The Calipso is also not yet in Galapagos and has her first trip scheduled for July 25. Will keep you posted after completion of these. The client above had their trip changed to the Humboldt Explorer which I understand went well. After the recent loss of the Majestic Explorer which sank on May 31, they expect these boats to fill many of their trips with clients who had been scheduled aboard the Majestic.
Does anyone have pictures of Calipso? Is she operating?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom