California, a nice place to visit....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buknbull

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings earthlings! My wife and I will be coming to california for a very brief 12-14 days.. we are thinking spring or fall. With that in mind, I was hoping that we might get reccomendations on dive sites while out there... We'll be in Northern CA during this time with stops in Big Sur, Monterey, San Fran, Napa and The Redwoods... Hoping to get dive conditions and water temps and maybe a diver operator while out there.. thanks in advance..

buk.

Well not alot of dive ops in Nor-cal except for Monterey and points South. Most stuff North of there is shore diving unless you know someone with a boat. I could be wrong on that so please don't fillet me if I am wrong. Some of these walk in sites can be rough, and that's an understatment. It's mostly cliffs North of SFO area.

I would highly recommend Monterey though if for nothing else, to be harrased by a seal.. They love to swim up and get right in your face, and open thier mouths WIDE.. Scares the crap out of you if your not waiting for it.... Or the tug at your fins.. you think you been gotten by a shark for a second. It's all in good fun according to them though. Great stuff to see to besides the seals. There are dive boats that go out daily.. I prefer the dive boats, for... one, no sand in your skivvys at the end of the day, and two, you dive more remote spots that shore divers don't normally get to. OH, and there's the aquarium, which is a must see stop IMHO. Forget about Big Sur.. What access they have is sandy beaches, and surf. Pretty up top but not to many places to get to the water at all And I think they are all pay to park now a days, which sucks. The beach is free, but you got to pay to park, and with parking very limited, it is the same as charging to use the beach. most of the road side stuff is taken early in the day,(as it is free) or it is posted, "NO PARKING"
But after telling you all this negative stuff. California ROCKS!! it has every type of enviroment you could imagine, all within a days drive.. It's all here. Desert, Forest, Sea, moutains, Old , new what ever, it's here. Hit the missions of your into history kinda stuff or the mining areas in the foothills. Good uck. Keep us posted. And there is always Catalina diving with Dr Bill

I personally hate California. I grew up in Stockton, the armpit of the whole state, so that may have something to do with it. But every time I spend time here, I remember why I left. That said, I love diving Monterey and Carmel. So I endure. Hey, everything in life is a trade-off. This one's worth the diving, as long as I don't have to live here permanently.

Gents. good scoop.. thanks All. I'll keep the seals in mind.. We dont get to many of them here on the Right coast.. One thing I forgot to ask was water temps and suites? Used to diving cold water in Boston with a 7mm 2 piece. BUT I dont want to get the impression that CA is all sun and warm waters then end up singing Sopranno...

Any advise on that would help a whole lot as well.

Thanks in advance.

Temps have been in the low to mid 50's around the bay. My girls and I dive 7mm Henderson hyperstretch suits and do just fine. We have 3mm hoods and use 1mm tropical gloves. Obviously your mileage may vary; we just don't get cold that easily. We were diving those same suits and hoods, but with 5mm gloves, last winter in Puget Sound when the temps got down to 48-46. But from what you describe, these waters shouldn't give you too much temperature trouble.

Typical temps for me are about 46-54F Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Sonoma, Mendocino. I normally wear warmer gloves or my fingers become cold and uncomfortable. 7mm farmers would be fine doubled up 14mm on chest.

California is also a Right Coast of the Pacific Ocean.

Fall tends to be the best most predictable weather for the California Coast.

Pt Arena, Monterey, Bodega Bay buoys:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46014

http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46042

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46013

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom