Calculators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stupid !
which type of drysuit ? which garnments ?
which type of steel tank ?

I'm using use 4 or 5 kgs, the site says i must take 17 kgs

Results:
If you weigh209 lbs's and your exposure suit is a7mm wet suit and your air tank is made out ofsteel and you're diving in salt water,
then you'll need approximately33lbs (+/- 2kg)of weights.

Three things:
1) I dive with 24lbs just fine
2) The +/- should also be in imperial if it is selected
3) The radio buttons and drop down boxes are clearing after the results are displayed. They should retain the settings used to get the results.

I like the idea.

Maybe some Americans will take the initiative to learn to multiply by 2.2, 3.25, etc., as the case may be. That would be useful.
:wink:

I can do that, and don't need a calculator, but the OP is trying to make an app to do this, and some of us are trying to help

Yes, I added my input regarding the weight calculator to help.

Do you think bickering with me is extremely helpful, or just slightly helpful?

Vladimir, I'm not sure why you think Nimoh is the one who's bickering. We didn't chose the illogical standard of measurements used by our country, and many of us, especially those from science backgrounds are equally familiar with multiple standards. The fact remains that when our entire country is founded on one standard it makes sense to work with that standard instead of hoping an online scuba calculator with bugs in the imperial conversions will be the impetus for change in the United States. The OP asked users to try it and give comments or feedback on its function and that's all people did as far as I can see.

Last edited:
If you weigh165 lbs's and your exposure suit is a3mm wet suit and your air tank is made out ofsteel and you're diving in salt water,
then you'll need approximately15lbs (+/- 2kg)of weights.

To answer your question, I'd say it's not even remotely close. If I use an Aluminum Backplate with a steel 100 in this configuration, I don't need any weight. Your formula don't take into account body fat vs muscle mass... All of that aside, I wouldn't comfortably recommend to a student in a jacket BCD with a 3mm wet suit (which has foam and is buoyant) with an Aluminum tank to wear 15lbs of weight... 12 Lbs maybe as a starting point? But with Steel, probably not.

I am exactly 165 lbs and with a 3mm and AL in salt I am perfect at 6 lbs. That's the only time I think I have ever been perfectly weighted. Perfectly neutral at 15 feet and 500lbs. Loved it. This would mean no weight with Steel. So in case we use your weight calculator, can you please ensure your lift bag calculator is accurate? Great idea though.

Wow. The calculator reckons I need 20lbs diving in a 3mm suit with an al80 in salt water... I'm overweighted just using a 6lb steel backplate. I'm actually negatively buoyant just bobbing about on the surface in a 3mm with no weights on at all. Might be a rethink needed...

says 28lbs for me, i use between 4 and 6

"33.75 metres"

It is dangerous when a calculator gives exact answers where none exist.
Someone might even take the result as a fact.

You forget that excercise level and many more unknown factors have an effect far greater that 0.1m

---------- Post added July 28th, 2013 at 09:47 AM ----------

...and oh, I've read that oxygen might be even more narcotic than nitrogen. This might pose a slight problem for your END calculator that only takes N2% as input... Please compare your results with other software.

These calculations, they are not mathematics, but statistics and medicine. Good luck!

answer:
If you weigh217 lbs's and your exposure suit is a7mm wet suit and your air tank is made out of steel and you're diving in fresh water,
then you'll need approximately26lbs (+/- 2kg)of weights.

Even with my Farmer John with step in jacket I only use 13# (includes BP wt) in fresh water, and that is 2# over neutral at 500# @ 15'. That is with a HP 100, with an old steel 72 (2250#) I use 19#, also 2# over neutral.

Sounds like you took the old "rule of thumb" for SCUBA weighting and put it on a calculator, To bad the rule of thumb is crap, unless you want to sit solidly on the bottom in shallow water.

Bob
----------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

Why do you make people input the EANx as a decimal? 0.36 for EANx 36. I know it's not difficult for us to do but at the same time it's not difficult to add into your programming: ($_POST["eanx"] / 100) either. I actually just made a bunch of these myself using an excel spreadsheet and simply had one input for my mix and divided it by 100 in each of the 3 calculations for EAD, MOD and PPO2. Just a thought :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom