Cairns wreck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any info on Cairns wreck diving? Is there any? I know there is the Yongala, but that won't fit with my travel plans. Need a trip from Cairns. I've done some great diving in the past on the outer reef, Coral Sea and with minke whales, so looking for something a little different. Cheers.

Cairns local here and no wreck diving locally. Trinity Bay is the only wreck in the shipping channel but not commercial divable.

Yongala is the main one or HMAS Brisbane on Sunshine Coast.

Cairns is the gateway to the GBR and that's why people come here. Plenty of variety in trips or go to the Tablelands for deep freshwater lakes.

Cairns local here and no wreck diving locally. Trinity Bay is the only wreck in the shipping channel but not commercial divable.

Yongala is the main one or HMAS Brisbane on Sunshine Coast.

Cairns is the gateway to the GBR and that's why people come here. Plenty of variety in trips or go to the Tablelands for deep freshwater lakes.

Thanks for the straight up info. I gather you are the guy to talk to if I want to avoid the worst of holiday diving.

Ha ha yes happy to help. Been dive pro here for very long time. Drop me DM if you prefer

Sounds like you've already done them but top would be Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom (my preference) but sell out months in advance.
When are you looking to be here?
Day trips I like Tusa because it's open gate diving and you have the option of 3 x 40min dives or 2 x hour or more dives. Less people, more crew, but it's pricey and currently getting motor changed so not running for few months.

See here for a summary of the better ones. Silversonic out of Port Douglas visits Agincourt (most southern of the Robbin Reefs) or Silverswift good but all guided dives which limits time a bit.

I'll DM you because some good deals on

Sounds like you've already done them but top would be Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom (my preference) but sell out months in advance.
When are you looking to be here?
Day trips I like Tusa because it's open gate diving and you have the option of 3 x 40min dives or 2 x hour or more dives. Less people, more crew, but it's pricey and currently getting motor changed so not running for few months.

See here for a summary of the better ones. Silversonic out of Port Douglas visits Agincourt (most southern of the Robbin Reefs) or Silverswift good but all guided dives which limits time a bit.

I'll DM you because some good deals on

Cheers. Just day tripping for me. It's a family holiday with a day or two diving. I'll be there first 3 weeks of July more or less.

Ok so that rules out Tusa. Everyone diving or looking for kid friendly stuff? Teenagers or younger?
Evolution or Reef Magic has ok diving and extra activities for kids (glass bottom boats, semi sub etc).
Smallest boat is Reef Day Tripper (guided dives) which is different from the crowded Outer Reef trips. Nice relaxing day. Dive sites not too bad only 20 passengers.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Just me diving, no family to entertain. Near enough 1000 dives, DM, IANTD ART and solo tickets. Would rather avoid large dive groups.

I'm sure we'll do a family-orientated snorkel +/- dive trip in addition.

Back
Top Bottom