Cairns Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,
I'm heading to Cairns in March. I have one day to dive (yes, I know that a Liveabord would be best, but not going to happen this time) and I'm looking for a good outfit. It will be me and my Bro-in-law. We would like to do a 4 dive trip during the day, then two night dives, either on another charter or even shore dives if it is possible.

Any advice would help,

Scott T

Good Morning from Cairns Scott.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but what you are asking for we just dont have. Best we can do is 3 day dives. First one 20 metres 40 mins, second dive 20 metres 40 mins and last dive 8 metres 35 minutes.

This is available on :

Tusa, Silverswift, Deep Sea Divers Den out of Cairns

Silversonic, Calypso, Poseidon, Haba and Aristocat out of Port Douglas.

No operators do night dives retn to Cairns, you need to do a 2 day / one night liveaboard.

Hope this has helped to clarify what you can do on the Great Barrier Reef.

Thanks for the reply. What about beach dives? Are there any restrictions as to where I would be able to dive and when? Or is it even possible to dive shallower areas of the reef from the beach?

Also, if you could, can you PM me some information on the Two day/one night trips. That actually may be doable.

Thanks,

Scott T

Not a problem Scott,

Firstly there is a day boat operating to Upolu Cay where you can do a dive from close to the beach. Sailing Catamaran which has been running a Great deal. $165 Aust dollars includes first dive from the cay into shallow water , all gear supplied, buffet lunch including prawn seafood and snorkel gear. You would spend two hours at the Cay, one hour for dive, second to snorkel. The sandy cays however still dont have walk in off the beach because the coral runs to close.

Boat then moves to Oyster reef which is still pretty shallow, around 9 - 10 metres. Second dive cost $35 dollars. This is however not from the beach but access from a drop line off the back of the boat.

Upolu Cay is known for its turtle life and still OK for fish life. Coral is not so colourful however because it is not deep, cold water.

Scott, if an Island is your choice my favourite would be Franklin Islands. day trip with two dives comes to $259 inclusive of lunch, gear and reef tax's. Nothing on the Island but your boat which carries around 30 passengers for the day. Most visitors will be snorkelling or kicking back on the beach so diving numbers are small.

Just to sort out the 2 day 1 night options.... do you have firm dates so I can get you all the choices.

Regards Andy

Andy,
Thanks again for the replies and information. I don't have our itinerary right here, but we should be in Cairns between March 16 and March 20. Hope that helps.

Thanks in advance,

Scott T

Scott, this isnt a busy time here. I can guarantee that there will be PLENTY of spots on all boats.

March for the last 2 years has averaged around 800mm of rain, and the wind can reak a bit of havoc.

If I was in your shoes, I would wait till you arrived, come and visit one of our shops, we check out the weather, and make an educated decision from there.

2 day / 1 night trips with diving for your info:

Large Cat's carring around 30 pax that time of year offer 5 day, 1 night dive with itinery something like this.

Depart Cairns Harbour approx 7.30am. Be on Reef by 10.30 for check in, accomm sorted and gear organized then goes roughly like this.

Lunch, Dive..... 3pm dive, dinner.... Night Dive,.... 7.am dive ( the best in my opinion )... 11.ooam dive, lunch then head for home around 3.pm

Costs: Quad share accomm $330 incl meals, Gear and then about $30 of taxes.

Sailing 2 day / 1 night ( benefits are 10 passengers ) ( disadvantage is if we have rough weather ) $300 for 5 dives.... no night dive but + $30 taxes

Regards Andy

I've tried to leave some well deserved feedback for Andrew and his staff, but have not been able to do so. I have decided to leave it here, for now anyway.

I would suggest to anyone traveling to Cairns to look Andrew up first. He handles not only diving, but all sightseeing in the area. His staff is top notch and although it was late when I arrived in Cairns he came back out from his home, picked us up at our hotel and drove us to his shop. (thanks for that, the two block walk may have been quite a slog..lol). He took his time just like it was 10am and he had all day. He made us feel welcome and even kicked down a discount for being a ScubaBoard member. The next day he was not there, but the lady at the shop (sorry, I'm terrible with names) treated us with the same professionalism and kindness and helped us set up another great sightseeing trip.

Again, look him up for all of your Cairns needs. A+

Scott T

Awesome information
We're heading to cairns in a couple of months and i wanted to get some dives in! Andrew seems like the way to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom