Cage Diving - South Africa - Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meaty24

Registered
Reaction score
I am a certified diver with over 200 logged dives. A few years ago, I did a South African great white trip where the cage is attached to the boat and you duck down and hold your breath when a shark passes by. I am looking for a different experience, one where I can get in a submerged cage with scuba gear and spend significant time under water with the beautiful animals. Somebody told me that the South African government doesn't allow cages to be completely underwater. Is this true?

Can anyone refer me to a company that is geared more to scuba divers?

Thanks!

There are some operators who use surface supply regulators so no breath holding, but none as far as I am aware who free the cage from the boat.

I am not 100% sure on this but I believe the only places you would be able to dive in submerged cages on scuba would be at Guadeloupe or the Neptune Islands.

Why in a cage? Umkomaas dive lodge just south of Durban do shark dives, no cage. Divers hang at around 10meters on a bar and check out raggies, tigers etc. For the great white experience you would prob have to go the cape town area but as far as I know this would all be caged dives. I stand to be corrected

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I am not aware of any operations that allow submerged cages as they create other potentials problem for the divers.

Thank for the info. Can anyone recommend a dive company that does not put tons of people on the boat? The fewer the better. Thanks!!

African Shark Eco Charters is the way to go, in my opinion. They only take 12 divers MAX and only put 2 people in their cage at a time and they use regulators (tanks are kept on the boat). I've gone out twice with them in the last year. Could not imagine trying to do this with one of the "hold your breath - 4 ppl in the cage" outfits!

African Shark Eco Charters is the way to go, in my opinion. They only take 12 divers MAX and only put 2 people in their cage at a time and they use regulators (tanks are kept on the boat). I've gone out twice with them in the last year. Could not imagine trying to do this with one of the "hold your breath - 4 ppl in the cage" outfits!

Yes, they are definitely the best operators there!

Back
Top Bottom