Cabo trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seamason

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Did a trip to Cabo San Lucas June 12 -19. Dove with Underwater Diversions, Good outfit no real complaints as to how they conducted dives briefings etc. wondered about selection of sites at times but there didn't appear to be a great deal to pick from. I had signed up hopefully for a trip to Gordo Banks which requires a minimun of 6 divers to go. Turns out the banks are pretty well fished out and encounters are rare, not really worth the trip, and they don't go out there much anymore. Water was a bit chilly, early in the week surface temp in the bay was in low to mid 70's, thermocline at 30 ft dropped it to mid to upper 60's. Pelican rock, although very busy with divers, snorkelers,glass bottom pangas, jetskis etc. had an abundance of life. Moorish idols, frogfish, eels, passer angles, scorpionfish. Later in the week dove "the corridor" at Santa maria, the blowhole, and Cheleno. Water temp kept dropping, 61 degrees on the bottom on my last dive. Had on a 3mil full wetsuit, a shorty over that, a vest on top of that, a beanie and gloves. Being mostly an east coast US and caribbean diver, to me it was cold, the DM's concurred. I was in Cabo many years ago and the place has exploded with development since then, not unlike a lot of destinations. Good place for sunny hot weather, rousing nitelife, people watching and a few dives. If you're planning to go and would like more info I'd be happy to help.

Adio's

I like Cabo, did the Gordo Banks it was nice, lots of schooling tuna and jacks.
Too bad you didn't get over to Cabo Pulma, it is very nice.
And topside Cabo is very nice, we stay at Club Regina.

Thanks for the report. I'm heading down there in mid-September, so hope the water is a bit warmer.

seamason:
Did a trip to Cabo San Lucas June 12 -19. Dove with Underwater Diversions, Good outfit no real complaints as to how they conducted dives briefings etc. wondered about selection of sites at times but there didn't appear to be a great deal to pick from. I had signed up hopefully for a trip to Gordo Banks which requires a minimun of 6 divers to go. Turns out the banks are pretty well fished out and encounters are rare, not really worth the trip, and they don't go out there much anymore. Water was a bit chilly, early in the week surface temp in the bay was in low to mid 70's, thermocline at 30 ft dropped it to mid to upper 60's. Pelican rock, although very busy with divers, snorkelers,glass bottom pangas, jetskis etc. had an abundance of life. Moorish idols, frogfish, eels, passer angles, scorpionfish. Later in the week dove "the corridor" at Santa maria, the blowhole, and Cheleno. Water temp kept dropping, 61 degrees on the bottom on my last dive. Had on a 3mil full wetsuit, a shorty over that, a vest on top of that, a beanie and gloves. Being mostly an east coast US and caribbean diver, to me it was cold, the DM's concurred. I was in Cabo many years ago and the place has exploded with development since then, not unlike a lot of destinations. Good place for sunny hot weather, rousing nitelife, people watching and a few dives. If you're planning to go and would like more info I'd be happy to help.

Adio's
Did you happen to notice if the rental gear at Underwater Diversion was up to par? I'm just wondering if I should take my gear for the little bit of diving we will do. Thanks for the report.

Their gear looked in pretty good shape from what I saw. several divers had rented, sorry I can't recall what manufacturer they were using. It may be on their website or you could e-mail them as well.

Have fun!

We are heading down there in Aug. I hope the water temp is higher than that. At least in the high 70's if not higher. So where did you stay and can you recommend any places to eat.

NDH:
We are heading down there in Aug. I hope the water temp is higher than that. At least in the high 70's if not higher. So where did you stay and can you recommend any places to eat.

I'll be down there in August too diving with Underwater Diversions on the 21st - 23rd.

I stayed at the Pueblo Bonito (Blanco), Very nice property on Playa Mendano. Two restaurants that stood out were Da Giorgios, now renamed the mona lisa I think. It sits on a cliff overlooking the bay lookng West with spectacular views of lands end and the sunset. Food was good, a little pricey,make a reservation early. In cabo, a good authentic mexican place was Mi Casa. There are also a ton of restaurants along the marina to choose from as well. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Hi,
If you want spetacular UW photos, dive Cabo Pulmo. Drive to Cabo Pulmo and dive with Pepe's or the Cabo Pulmo Resort.

diveprn:
Hi,
If you want spetacular UW photos, dive Cabo Pulmo. Drive to Cabo Pulmo and dive with Pepe's or the Cabo Pulmo Resort.
I've already got it booked in our package with Manta. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom