Cabo San Lucus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrl5549

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If I misspelled it forgive me.
Who dives with which dive shop in Cabo? Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in Cabo that is not one of the huge hotel resorts?
Also it will be an August trip, so info about that time of year there?

We were in the area last year but stayed in San Jose del Cabo so can't help you for accommodation recommendations. We did drive to Cabo San Lucas and did two dives with Andromeda Divers and were quite happy with them.

Are you going to Cabo specifically to dive or are you just diving as part of a more general vacation? I'm asking because Cabo would not be my first choice in the southern Baja for a dive vacation. We much prefer Cabo Pulmo and I understand that La Paz is also good.

Mostly to dive. We would like it to be simple to eat and relax, would perfer to not rent a car.

Love Hotel El Ganzo, but its a bit away from the main center as it's the departing marina for the Socorro liveboards. It's a very nice hotel though. very cool

I think Cabo Pulmo would suit you better, but you would need to rent a car.

We went to Cabo for the first time last November and heading back again this November. Last time we stayed at Sandos Finestra and dove with Manta Scuba.

Sandos is an AI, and right across the street (if you ignore the almost vertical climb) from the dive shop. The resort was okay, food was good, but we were there when there were also a couple of weddings, and the restaurants and bars could get pretty noisy later in the evening. This time we have rented a condo down closer to Mount Solmar, as we love to cook while we are on vacation, and also assuming it will be a little more peaceful.

First dive trip with Manta we did a local dive (Pelican Rock and Land's End), a corridor dive (two tanks, can't recall the sites); and a La Paz combination whale shark snorkel and Los Islotes sea lion dive. We will be diving with Manta again, as we appreciated the convenience and the high quality of their staff and boats. Will probably substitute a Cabo Pulmo dive for going back to La Paz time time, and hopefully expand our local diving to some of the other sites.

If you are not looking for anything fancy, just a place that is clean, has AC, hot water and wifi, the two places that I recommend are Mar de Cortes, and Quinta del Sol. Between the two, I like Mar de Cortes for its location, since it is right in downtown, a short walk from the marina, and it is easy to walk to decent places to eat - both on the local side and the touri$$$ty side. Quinta del Sol is slightly nicer, but is a 10-15 minute walk from downtown. It is a safe walk tho, since it is right on the main drag, Lazaro Cardenas, that leads right into town.

If you are looking for something a bit more upscale that is also centrally located but won't break the bank, the only other place I have stayed in has been the Tesoro Hotel - they are right on the marina.

August is hot, hot, hot. It is also hurricane season, but nowadays the weather worldwide is crazy and hurricanes have struck there as late as November, so it is a matter of luck. There is probably no season there that is safe from hurricanes except for winter and maybe spring.

I stay at the Tesoro. It's like a larger resort but not that large. I stay there because it's conveniently located on the marina and in the same building as Cabo Deep Blue, the operator I've used for several years. I like Cabo Deep Blue. It's a nice and professional dive company. Super friendly and they've never let me down!

I've also gone out with Manta in the past for the Gordo Banks runs.

If you're looking for something absolutely adorable, check out the Casa Bella Boutique Hotel. It's small, definitely not a resort and walking distance to a number of great food places. It's not far from the marina too. My stay there was wonderful!
----

If you really want to dive though, go to Cabo Pulmo. You don't need to rent a car. I have in the past but now I just get a car service to/from. Depending on how many people are in your party, it will save you a lot of money and hassle.
Car service each way can vary between 150 to 200 US. That will also include a stop at Sorianas or the Mega for groceries if you want. Honestly, even if I were traveling solo, I'd just get a car service. When I'm in Cabo Pulmo, I don't go anywhere else. If I want to go to Los Frailles or any place else for any reason, I can ask anyone local and chance are they'll hook you up for a minimal fee. If you want info on a car service, then send me a message.

As mentioned above: AUGUST IS HOT.
I'll just leave that as is.

Depending on who I'm traveling with, I'll usually finish off a week or so with a couple of days in Cabo San Lucas. I have a couple of friends that like the hustle and bustle of the city. But you'll notice a stark difference between falling asleep with the sound of the ocean waves and birds contrasted against the boisterous drinkers of the night and perhaps a bit of street puking on busier weekends. ahahahah.

I love Cabo Pulmo though. I visit regularly in November (even though that's the busier season). I also try for another time of year - January or March. I've been in Aug/Sept. IT IS HOT! ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom