Cabo San Lucas -- Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I touched base with some other folks who dove the Marietta's off of Puerta Vallarta the same day we dove Los Arcos. They weren't too impressed with the diving there either. I figure it's one of two things...diving ain't that great there or we just caught it on a bad day. Either way the diving in the Sea of Cortez near Cabo was much, much better...the diving and the dive charter.

Dive Site: Neptune's Finger
Dive Shop: Underwater Diversions
Divemaster: Gerrardo
Seas: 1'-2'
Vis: 100'
Current: Mild with ocassional surge near the surface
Avg Water Temp: 65 degrees F
Max Depth: 105'

This dive shop was much better prepared than Chico's in Puerta Vallarta. There was plenty of gear. The rental equipment appeared to be fairly new and kept up. No problem finding weight on this trip and the divemasters did a good job of estimating how much weight each diver needed.

This was all around better diving. Much more marine life...octopus, sea lions, grouper, morays, and all the usual suspects. Saw a couple of grouper...one was huge. No other big fish other than that though.

The divemasters were knowledgable and experienced. First thing they did was separate the main group into two smaller groups. Basically by who wanted to go deep and who didn't. Of course, some of the divers thought 60' was deep so we cleared that up quickly. Gerrardo (our group's DM) didn't want to take us past 90', but we fudged on that a little and hit 105' on the first dive.

Visability and water temps were pretty consistent at different depths. Fresh water to rinse gear was available on the boat and back at the shop.

After the dives I hauled my gear back to the ship and headed back into town. I took a stroll well off the main tourist sections and found an upscale tequila store where I sampled a bunch of different tequilas. After that I wandered back toward the beach and ran across the Cabo Wabo. I took a seat outside and listened to the live band they had there...great lead guitarist BTW. After one too many margaritas I worked my way back to the ship, getting back on just before the deadline to reboard.

Angie and Jack went ATVing somewhere while I was diving. They had a great time too. We're looking into a return trip (just to Cabo) at Thanksgiving. In fact, Angie already found a house on the beach with a pool for $525 a night...sleeps 8 comfortably. Once we get some more of the details worked out we'll see if we can get 6 more folks to join us. I'll post the info on Scubaboard when we do, so if you're looking for something to do next Thanksgiving keep it in mind! :wink:

Thanks for the report :D

Remind me to send you some pics and details of a house we rented in Cabo and a little village we hired a guide to take us to for some remote local diving about an hour away... :wink:

I got a timeshare that will sleep 4-6 for about $2500 for the week outside of Cabo...if you want All inclusive it is $75 a piece a night (all food and drinks).

Mike

We'll be there just before thanksgiving. Can't wait to dive there again. You were so lucky to get that great of vis!

Zinc.. that remote local village?? What is the name of it? Cabo Pulmo or something else. We go to Cabo a lot and I would love to hear of other places to dive nearby.

We'll be there just before thanksgiving. Can't wait to dive there again. You were so lucky to get that great of vis!

Sweet! I'm sure you'll have a great time. I can't wait to get back there. I hear there are hammerheads in the Sea of Cortez around Thanksgiving. Any truth to that?

Where do you live in Alaska? I lived in Anchorage (mostly) for 27 years before the cold and dark finally got to me and I moved back home to Texas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom