Cabo San Lucas trip report (longish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hola! OHDiver and I have just returned from an excellent (if too short) trip to Cabo San Lucas, in Baja California Sur, Mexico! I had not been to Cabo in about 7 years, and I was pleasantly surprised that the diving seemed a little better in the way of fish life... it could be the time of year, though I don't know.

We used Amigos Del Mar as our dive op. I had used them in the past but they now have a new owner, Kevin. He is a really nice guy. Divemasters we met were a married couple, Julio and Victoria, both nice folks as well. Diving was approximately $66 per day for nearby sites (2 tanks), $75 the day we went "across the Bay". I did not check Kevin's prices for Cabo Pulmo or Gordo Banks.

We stayed at the Pueblo Bonito (blanco), where I have a timeshare. I love the resort, and it is certainly more laid back than its noisy neighbor, the Melia. It is right on beautiful Medano Beach, across from Land's End. You can watch the sun rise over the ocean from your room (if you get up early enough!) From the Pueblo Bonito it is a $10 dollar (one way) cab ride to the dive shop at the marina, $6 to downtown. The food at the resort is excellent so we only went into town for dinner twice, to two of my past favorites, Pancho's and Mocambo.

Diving
The first day we did the "local" sites, meaning a 5 minute boat trip from the dock. We dove Pelican Rock and Land's End. Water temps were about 73 degrees, with significant thermaclines in spots... We found the 2 resident Whitetip Reef Sharks at about 65 feet, saw TONS of yellowtail surgeonfish, pompano, goatfish, sgt majors, barberfish, scissortail damsels. Also lots of other nice fish, moorish idols, king angelfish, parrotfish, guineafowl puffers, scrawled filefish, fanged blenny ( a personal favorite ) and many kinds of damsels. I saw a few bullseye stingrays and a cool gray speckled moray which I believe to be an "argus moray". I liked the giant hawkfish - beautiful! The only downside of these sites are the nasty biting flies during the surface interval!

The second day we dove off the Hotel Twin Dolphin for the first dive, and a place they called "Whale Head Point" for the second dive. Water temp warmed to 75! Lots of the same fish, but a little healthier underwater landscape, probably due to less boat traffic. I did see my first Zebra Moray but he was not posing for photos!

The last day we went back to Pelican Rock in search of frogfish and seahorses. We (I say we, but it was our eagle-eyed DM, Julio) found two frogfish right near each other, but failed to see any seahorses. I did see the HUGEST bumphead parrotfish I have ever seen, plus an octopus, scorpionfish and several green morays. And the last dive was the most fun, because we were with 3 sea lions as they were fishing. I took some still photos and a little "movie" of this, it was so interesting to watch the school trying to defend itself from the three seasoned predators... its really hard to describe!

All in all a nice trip, and I had fun getting used to my digital camera. I am ALMOST ready to invest in a strobe. It would have made a difference in several of the shots :)

Karen, its your turn to add anything I forgot! Happy diving and Happy New Year, everyone!

Arnaud:
Thanks for the report. What was the viz like?

Shoot! I knew I was forgetting something! The first two days things were a little stirred up, vis was maybe 40-60 feet horizontally. The 3rd day was fantastic, I thought, for San Lucas Bay, with vis about 70-100 feet, which was especially beautiful at the underwater sand falls, where you could pretty much see all the way to the surface up the rocky slope. It was sunnier that day, and simply beautiful underwater, and the shadows in the sandy flats were great for photos... :)

GotAir:
Sounds Yummie. I'm glad you made time to get a dive or two in!

Mike

Hey, Mike, a girl's gotta eat :biggrin: to keep up her strength for diving!!

Jennifer:
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you saw a lot of fish life! Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Happy New Year to you too!

Natasha:
Jennifer:
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you saw a lot of fish life! Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Happy New Year to you too!

Natasha,

I will e-mail you a link to the album. I will try to post some on SB in the UW Photo section after I re-size them...

jennifer

Awesome! Thanks!

Nice report. Sounds like you had some great dives! Let's see some pics.....
What camera are you using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom