Cabo Pulmo? East Cape of Baja. Anyone dive here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The masochist in me is considering going to Baja in July, depsite the heat :) I want to be away from the crowds in San Lucas, so I am considering a more remote location on the East Cape, near the Cabo Pulmo Marine Park. Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the diving in the area, or any other vacation related information to share?

thanks a lot!

humanfish

You gonna die, you gonna die, just kidding. Baja in July and climatized to SF, wow.
Don't get too far from the water. I prefer Cabo in late September, early October, still hot though. The Club Regina where we stay is in the hotel strip between SJDC and CSL, not very crowded ever. Did my dives with Amigos Del Mar close by, and did one at Gordo Banks, eight miles out, a sea mount at 105' below the surface, very nice dive, lots of schooling Tuna and Jacks. There is a chance to see Whale Sharks and large Mantas there, but we didn't get lucky.

Check for rentals at Capo Pulmo. Lot's of gringos. Also Los Frailes, and Rancho Leonero and by now there should be some places in La Rivera.

adios

We were there in August last year. Rockin diving. LaPalapa on the beach for fish tacos. Cabo Pulmo Beach resort ruled. Great guides, excellent service. Avoid Pepe. Enjoy the quietness of Cabo Pulmo and its dirt main street.

We stayed at Punta Colorada - we were there for the Kayak rooster fishing. Took a few days off and went diving. Awesome. There's a dive report on here someplace, if you do a search.

You'll love it.

---
Ken

We spent last 4th of July weekend at Cabo Pulmo. Had some great dives. The reef compares favorably with Hawaii. Lots of critters and good topography. Be ready for drift diving. Dive operations are pretty basic, but doable. Try Cabo Pulmo Divers or the Beach Resort. Don't trust Pepe's. I had a good experience with them last July and a terrible one with them in November.
The Beach Resort rents units in various sizes. Get as big as you can afford. No A/C, but the fans work. There are a couple of OK places to eat in "town".

Get some breakfast and lunch basics at the supermercado just south of the airport (on the left) before you head out there. The last 7 miles are dirt, but OK if you go slow.
Great Place!

colonelchuck:
We spent last 4th of July weekend at Cabo Pulmo. Had some great dives. The reef compares favorably with Hawaii. Lots of critters and good topography. Be ready for drift diving. Dive operations are pretty basic, but doable. Try Cabo Pulmo Divers or the Beach Resort. Don't trust Pepe's. I had a good experience with them last July and a terrible one with them in November.
The Beach Resort rents units in various sizes. Get as big as you can afford. No A/C, but the fans work. There are a couple of OK places to eat in "town".

Get some breakfast and lunch basics at the supermercado just south of the airport (on the left) before you head out there. The last 7 miles are dirt, but OK if you go slow.
Great Place!

Thanks Colonel!

We have secured a private beach house 2 miles from the reef. I'm excited to hear about the drift diving aspect of the reef. I love drift diving. See any "big" animal life out there?

I think we'll be diving with Cabo Pulmo divers...as I've heard all good things about them but not Pepe's....

anything else you can add about the other "diversions" available in the area. I know it's pretty remote, but just wondering what more to expect....

thanks for the info.

Just back from 2 wks in Cabo. Did a day trip up to Cabo Pulmo, was disappointed. We hit a poor day (visibility poor, current high, etc.). I hear that later in the summer, the vis is more reliable. Had much better diving in Cabo itself...

Anyway, we went with Mario & his son (Cabo Pulmo Divers, I think). It's the outfit closest to the beach. They only take cash. The only outfitter in Cabo Pulmo who has a credit card machine is Cabo Pulmo Dive Center (I think) in Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort (2 story green building, you can't miss that). Everyone else is cash or travelers cheques. I did two boat dives w/ Roger of Cabo Pulmo Divers (pretty sure, Mario's outfit); first was the Vencedor wreck (tune up for the group), second was Los Meros reef drift dive. Big groupers & tuna, but no mantas/sharks at the time. Sea lions are supposedly fairly reliable if you go to the sea lion colony (I saw a sea lion at Pelican Rock in Cabo, but missed getting a picture).

The East Cape is much quieter than Cabo San Lucas, and much more economical than the tourist corridor. The sand in Cabo Pulmo is also very nice compared to Medano Beach in CSL or along the corridor. That said, if you're looking for 5-star accommodations, you won't find them on the East Cape :wink:

I'm working on a more complete report, & hope to post it within a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, check out my gallery for some shots (mostly Pelican Rock at Cabo).

humanFish:
Thanks Colonel!

We have secured a private beach house 2 miles from the reef. I'm excited to hear about the drift diving aspect of the reef. I love drift diving. See any "big" animal life out there?

I think we'll be diving with Cabo Pulmo divers...as I've heard all good things about them but not Pepe's....

anything else you can add about the other "diversions" available in the area. I know it's pretty remote, but just wondering what more to expect....

thanks for the info.

Diversions on East Cape mostly consist of watching the sun come up over the mainland and watching the occasional lighting storm to the east (moonrise is also neat). In a word, it is remote and quiet. The two places that stay open in the evening in Cabo Pulmo are Nancy's and El Cabellero (sp). They are not much for entertainment, but food is pretty good.
Other than that, the beach and the sea are pretty much it.
Have a good trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom