Cabo Pulmo,Cabo San Lucas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucy's Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just got back, three days of diving each location.

We had reserved at Pepe's in Pulmo, including wiring a deposit. My brother had arranged for his referral OW cert to be finished there, including PayPalling a deposit. My brother showed up first and Pepe's had never heard of him. They would not finish his cert. Cabo Pulmo Bearch Resort agreed to finish his OW cert.
When my wife and I showed up at Pepe's they never heard of us. They seemed to take our word regarding the deposit and we dove with them for two days, on the second with my newly certified brother. Diving with them was fine. Their DM and boat pilot (both Danny, father and son) were very good. Good diving in Cabo Pulmo, viz a little low but lots of fish and good coral. Saw whales, a massive (like blotting out the sun) school of Amberjack, lots of smaller stuff.
We then dove with Cabo Pumo Beach Resort for a day, which is also where we stayed. Better boats and more organized than Pepe's. Pepe's seems to be in the midst of an ownership or management change and the right hand and left hand seem not to talk.

We then went to Cabo San Lucas and dove for a few days with Amigos Del Mar. Well organized, good DM, decent rental equipment (my wife and I have our own gear, my brother rents). Great diving. Better viz than Pulmo but fewer fish. Sea lions, Paciic baraccuda, an octopus, lots of eels and small stuff, one turtle. Quite a few rockfish.

I cannot stress how rural Pulmo is. No wired in electricity (solar and a generator), one supply truck a week (you know the town is due when a Mexican restaurant in Mexico runs out of salsa), three restaurants (open when they want to be) basically no dive equipment at all for sale. Very basic rental gear only. The diving really was quite good. The boats were all open Pangas and the dive sites (all of which were drift dives) reasonably close to shore.

Someone had commented in another thread that they got bad air at some place in Pulmo once. It seems to me from watching them that there is only one compressor in town and they all pay to use it. I never did get a fill over 2850.

Great trip report, I did a two tank dive in Cabo Pulma, very nice drift dive.
And the fresh tuna tacos and cold beers afterwards were great!

Thanks for the report. I had heard that business was somewhat uneven over at Pepe's last summer. Too bad that it still seems to be but at least they trusted you so you didn't lose your deposit. I have enjoyed staying at Cabo Pulmo Resort in their bungalows. Did you eat at Nancy's?

We ate at all three places, forgto the names. Was Nancy's the one on the beach?

Nancy's is located across the dry wash just north of Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. Outdoor dining. Nancy, the owner, moved down from Chicago area over ten years ago. Was the restaurant right at the beach where the boats pull up open then? It was closed last summer. I always enjoyed their fish of the day tacos after diving.

Back
Top Bottom