Cabo diving in late January/early February - water temps, critters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big school of jacks is here;
Many people I shared boats with felt chilled on the second dive. Consider an extra layer of neoprene if possible.

Will add that you should be sure you know the dive plan of whoever takes you down and that you are okay with it. On our second dive, our guide took us to the swirling jacks and we spent the whole dive with them, pretty much hovering or kneeling in one spot. It did get pretty cool since we weren't moving. In hindsight, my buddy and I should have signaled we were ready to move on.

I am heading down this week to dive. Did you decide on a dive operator in Cabo?

I can recommend Manta in Cabo San Lucas, and Cabo Pulmo Divers in Cabo Pulmo, I also dove with Dive Cabo out of CSL (aka East Coast Explorers in San Jose), but wasn't so impressed with them.

Can anyone recommend a dive operator in La Paz? I want to go out to the El Bajo seamount at the end of Feb, I've heard good things about Dive in La Paz, but they seem to be only going out to Los Islotes at present.

We usually plan our trips far in advance, with an obsession to detail and probably far too much time and attention invested by yours truly. Looks like we're about to diverge form that habit.

Last night my wife came home and announced that she has scheduled a couple weeks vacation from work, starting the end of January through early February. We've talked about Baja before but haven't got around to it. She said "lets go to Baja!" so who am I to argue with the woman?

I'm looking at around 11-12 days, last week of January/first week of February, split between Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, La Paz, and possibly Cabo Pulmo. (We will also start with a couple non-diving days at the beginning of the trip to do whale watching up around Magdalena Bay). I'm expecting we will have a car for at least part of the time (I've driven extensively in Mexico and am OK with that).

We're experienced divers, and we're very spoiled from previous trips (I know we are - Raja Ampat, Palau, regular trips to Cozumel did that to us). I know the diving around southern Baja will be different.

Were not into the whole "girls gone wild" frat boy party mega-tourism scene, so I'm approaching Los Cabos (especially) carefully.

What I'm wondering about are...
  • What kind of water temps should we expect at this time (end of January/early February) at Los Cabos and up Cabo Pulmo and La Paz?
  • Is this a good time for any particular critters? (I know many are highly seasonal - eg I'm hoping to see/maybe swim with whale sharks at La Paz) - and I'm hoping our tropical wetsuits will be adequate for the water at all these places.
  • I know Cabo Pulmo is highly seasonal - how is it at this time (in terms of weather, viz, marine life)?
Thanks for any input on a trip to this area in end of January/early February.

Water temperatures around those months are about 20ºC. Most people are OK doing 2 tank trips with a 5 mil fullsuit + hood or vest, although some more protection would be perfect.

Cabo is exactly what you said, a very busy place and yes, ideal for party makers. Diving is limited compared to other locations in Baja and the most common diving area is packed with all sorts of tourists. Diving however can be really enjoyable and there are a few really good dive spots. Cabo Pulmo can be gret for wildlife and the community there has set a good example in coservation. Weather and visibility at this time of the year can make the dives a hit or miss, but overall is a great experience.
In my opinion, the best diving in mainland Baja, Cortez side, is La Paz and Loreto. More variety of places and better shelter from the north winds, specially Loreto because the proximity to the mountains and islands.
Winter months are great for whalewatching, whaleshark swimming (La Paz, no diving), and there is generally more abundance on cetaceans in general. Sea lion colonies are at full capacity too. Sharks tend to show up more often now as well (we started seeing horn sharks in Loreto again!). Around April the mobula rays start to come and they come by the thousands. Pretty spectacular show.

If you happen to stop by Loreto give us a call! To me this is the most beatiful spot in Baja :) check our website Blue Nation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom