cabazon or sculpon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
i shot this FISH in the channel islands a week ago and have thought and been told it is a cabezon, and though ive never seen one of these colors i have continued to believe it was a cabezon, untill recently i was told it is a sculpin. so can some one give me the run down on it, i have looked in books and still found nothing of these colors. so what is it folks!! thanks for the ID help:D

jim ernst:
i shot this FISH in the channel islands a week ago and have thought and been told it is a cabazon, and though ive never seen one of these colors i have continued to believe it was a cabazon, untill recently i was told it is a sculpon. so can some one give me the run down on it, i have looked in books and still found nothing of these colors. so what is it folks!! thanks for the ID help:D
It's not a cabezon ... which, btw, is a type of sculpin.

This one looks like a Red Irish Lord, or perhaps a scalyhead sculpin, to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sculpin, not a Cab. A sculpin stuck me in the leg once. Hurt. I ate him. The day was mine!:wink:

Nice shot, by the way.

Agree it is not a cabezon. Could be a California spotted scorpionfish or possibly a red Irish lord.

Enophrys bison. Buffalo Sculpin, not sure at 100%

My vote goes to the Calif Scorpionfish based on the spines and cirri around the head. How big is it? Do you have a shot of the rest of the body?

Steve B

Back
Top Bottom