Cab stop and shop after airport pick up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Unbelievably excited about visiting Cozumel next week! Our flight arrives before noon. We are staying at Residencias Reef and are not renting a car. Because we will probably be in zombie mode after getting up at 3 am for flight, I am thinking we will not want to take a cab ride back into town for groceries. I am familiar with getting a cab outside of the airport, but we always go straight to condo. I am looking into requesting our cab driver stop at Mega were we can do some grocery shopping before checking into condo. Can anybody advise me on how to make this request? Obviously, I would pay more for that service, but have no idea of how much. Thanks in advance for any tips or experiences.

Having been to Cozumel three times with the last time about three weeks ago, I find the cab drivers to be extremely flexible. I would simply hail a cab outside the airport, tell them where your condo is, ask them to take you first to the Mega for groceries and then negotiate on a price. Everything is negotiable in Cozumel, especially the taxi fares. If for some reason the cab driver is unwilling to wait for you while you shop, just pass on that taxi and grab another one. There are usually 3-4 taxis at Mega waiting on “their” people to complete their shopping, it’s really not a big deal. I would be willing to guess you could complete your total mission for $8-12 American.

It’s really quite easy.Simply take a cab to MEGA,do your shopping,then hire another cab when you’re ready to head for Residencias Reef. You certainly aren’t expecting the cab driver to wait for you while you shop, are you ? Why would you want to extra pay for that ?

It’s really quite easy.Simply take a cab to MEGA,do your shopping,then hire another cab when you’re ready to head for Residencias Reef. You certainly aren’t expecting the cab driver to wait for you while you shop, are you ? Why would you want to extra pay for that ?
They may not want to take their luggage shopping.

I'd go to the motel first. Drop bags off, then drive to mega. Get a new taxi after shopping is done. Might be the same price as to drive to motel, drop bags, have the taxi wait (maybe someone would stay with the driver), then board it again for mega. Arrive, say goodbye to the driver, shop, get a new taxi. I am thinking you'd be paying extra for mega->hotel trip but safer and no rush. I am always a proponent to pay more for less risk.

I find mega is fun to just walk around and gawk, I'd need extra time (specifically knowing that my bags are safe and no one is waiting).

Mega is near where tourists disembark cruise ships, plenty of taxi cabs.

I fully believe it will be cheaper to use the same taxi. If you notice on Melgar Ave, the sometimes terribly long line of taxis sitting there in a row, they have to “get in line”. When the cab driver does a small fare (short) he or she knows they might have to go back to the end of the taxi line….. sitting…..waiting to get to the front of the line. They are more like to want to extend their current fare out a little to make more money. This will result in a cheaper fare for the customer overall than hiring several short cab rides for increased fare. This has been my observation. Remember, your on island time, not downtown Chicago. They don’t mind waiting in the parking lot, bullshi%%g with their buddies for an extra five bucks.

My knowledge of Residencias Reef begins and ends with the fact that I know it exists, and approximately where it is.
We too, know the up at 3:00 am routine, but we don't get on the island until 2:30 pm at the earliest. It's a b****h.

Given that, I'd pick up a taxi, have him/her drop me off at Mega, pay him to take luggage to Residencias Reef to an office or whatever there is. I'd shop at our leisurely pace, then take another taxi to the condo with our groceries and get our luggage after the groceries got put away, or at least inside the condo.

We travel pretty light, but the first grocery run is a pretty big one, and I wouldn't want to sit on the eggs or tomatoes.

If there is no office or similar where the luggage could be dropped off, well then, nvm:).

Unbelievably excited about visiting Cozumel next week! Our flight arrives before noon. We are staying at Residencias Reef and are not renting a car. Because we will probably be in zombie mode after getting up at 3 am for flight, I am thinking we will not want to take a cab ride back into town for groceries. I am familiar with getting a cab outside of the airport, but we always go straight to condo. I am looking into requesting our cab driver stop at Mega were we can do some grocery shopping before checking into condo. Can anybody advise me on how to make this request? Obviously, I would pay more for that service, but have no idea of how much. Thanks in advance for any tips or experiences.
We stop at Mega in route to our hotel all the time. Just tell the taxi driver of your plans and negotiate the price before getting in the cab. Tell the driver how long you expect to spend shopping and stick to that timeframe out of courtesy. Time is money for the taxitas.

We have never had any issues with our luggage, but if you are worried, one traveler can stay in the taxi but it will be hot as you shouldn’t expect the taxi to idle with the air conditioning on while you are shopping.

Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful trip. We were there in May and returning early December. Can’t wait

I'd go to the motel first. Drop bags off, then drive to mega. Get a new taxi after shopping is done. Might be the same price as to drive to motel, drop bags, have the taxi wait (maybe someone would stay with the driver), then board it again for mega. Arrive, say goodbye to the driver, shop, get a new taxi. I am thinking you'd be paying extra for mega->hotel trip but safer and no rush. I am always a proponent to pay more for less risk.
I'd agree with that if their hotel was in town, but Residencias is at the southern end. You're looking at an extra RT from the southern end, an extra 40 minutes in a taxi on a tiring day, and you're in little position to bargain on the way back to town. I'd just ask my driver to wait at Mega. Leave someone in the taxi if you don't trust them. Get the taxi number if you do. Save the curiousity browsing for another time.

Another idea is to get a taxi to hotel, have them drop off one person at Mega and the other person continues on to hotel with luggage. First person grabs a new taxi when done. By the time they get to hotel, the second person has everything unpacked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom