c5060 settings for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaaaronh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have some setting ideas to set f stops and shutter speeds for a beginner with this camera. I am going to try some white balance photos and strobe photos. does the "P" setting work ok? thanks

Hi

I started out using f 4.8 to f 5.6 with a shutter speed of around 1/100 to 1/125 .

The "P" mode nearly always chooses a shutter speed that is too slow to
prevent blurring .The white balance is a good idea to get started with .

You don't say which strobe you are using , just be aware that you shouldn't use the strobe and manual WB setting together . Also using the cameras built in strobe in water with particles suspended in it will produce lots of backscatter.

Good luck with your photos .

Safe Diving

Andrew

I haven't bought a strobe yet and am unsure which i will buy at this point

Take a look at underwatercamerapros.com web site. They have a section under tutorials for the Olympus C-series My Mode Setup. It is a good place to start.

Tom

Ryan at UWCamera Pros is a good guy to do business with if you ever need something.

Another good place for basic info is the photo section on Splashdown Divers

Check you PMs....

Hi Aaron,
for a thread on setting the White Balance properly have a look at http://www.scubaboard.com/t71029-manual-whitebalance-c-5060-.html. It has a very useful link that AndyT posted yesterday.

As regards the settings. Play about with which mode you like best before you even dive. I like Manual (M) but others prefer the Aperture priority mode (A) and the Shutter Priority mode (S). I like M as it allows me to play with the shutter speed and mess about with the aperature. If you just want to have more light/less light in your pictures choose the S mode and play with the shutter speed. The faster it is, the less light but anything below 1/100th of a second may result in blurring.

Set the camera to Autofocus but turn fulltime auto focus off, and set the focus to SPOT metering. Fulltime autofocus slows down the shutter time so you may not get your shot. Also get used to half depressing the shutter before shooting so the camera is in focus before you depress all the way. Not doing this often leads to blurring.

Turn on the option for the marine accessory when you're using the housing. No one seems quite too sure what this actually does but might as well use it if it's there

Set the ISO to 80 or 100 - AUTO tends to give grainy shots sometimes as it sets the ISO too high

Unless you're very close to a subject don't use the flash, as otherwise you're likely to get a lot of back scatter.

Turn off the auto reset of settings so that you don't have to remember to change everything every time you use the camera

Play about with MyMode. Many swear by it.

Have a look in the forums as well for other useful tips that apply to the 5060 and other digital cameras

Cheers

I read the second article and the epoque sounds like an ok little flash capable of doing close to what some of the others are doing. So why is it that everywhere i read anything on this strobe people say it isnt enough flash and are really down on it? For someone that uses a camera once a year on a dive trip would this be on ok flash? i know in the great lakes i am better off using the ambient light as the amount of particles in the water turns pictures into a snow storm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom