C5050z with Ikelite Housing - questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kawabunga0

Reaction score
Hi, did a search in this board but did not seem to find what I need.

1. From where I come from, it is difficult to get the color correcting filter for the Ikelite housing for the C5050Z. Is there a good (= reliable, cheaper, etc) place that I could mail-order from?

I hear the UR PRo filters are good. Comments?

2. Anybody has any experience with using the UK LIGHT CANNON 100 HID LIGHT, coupled with the C5050z/Ikelite housing?
- Got good results? Views?
- Know where to get an arm and adapter to fit the Light Canon 100 to the Ikelite housing?

3. Any good place to order the arm for the Ikelite C5050z housing/tray?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have the Ikelite housing for C5050 but have one for C4040 but I can answer a few of your questions.

1) Are you planning on using a strobe? What I gathered so far is that color correcting filter does not work all that well for still photography, in comparison to video. You probably better off investing in photoshop or similar program which will let you correct the color better.

2) I have the UK Light Cannon but don't like using it very much for underwater photography. It is probably useful only for macro shot otherwise you will get a hot spot even when using a diffuser. The beam is not that wide so I don't think that it is all that useful. For Macro shot, as long as the water is relatively clear, your Oly internal flash is actually quite good.
I am not sure if anyone is making an adapter for Light Cannon for Ikelite arm/tray.

Hope this is useful for you.

Am debating between a substrobe or the UK Light Cannon....and your input will play a part in the overall decision. Thanks.

Would like to hear from anybody else, your opinions (?).

Personally I use the Ikelite DS-125 strobe. Granted we are not talking about similar kind of price ranges here but strobe is much more flexible. With diffuser, the DS-125 will cover 100 degree which is not bad for single strobe setup for wide angle shot and is plently for macro. Have you try UK Light Canon during the day?
Unless you are very close to the object, it will really not make much of a different.
The DS-125 has a strong modeling light so I also use it as my primary light source for night dive. Since I got the strobe, the Light Canon has been sitting in my closet most of the time.
Cheaper alternative would be the Sea and Sea YS90DX strobe. Still quite a bit more than a Light Canon but I think you will still be much happier with the result.
Before I got my strobe, I did try to use Light Canon with my Oly 4040/Ikelite set up and did not find it all that useful.

Just my opinion though, may be someone else might have better luck with Light Canon than I do.

One of the main reasons for using a strobe is to replace the lost colors at depth. Think of it as taking the sun down with you. The strobe flash is intense and brighter than lights, which is why the flash is measured in hundredths of a second. That flash shows and records all the colors that are there, even though you don't see them until looking at the photos. Color correcting filters don't worth that well for still photography, they are much better for video where they use a constant light source.

I really like the manual S&SYS90DX strobe. TTL has never produced the results I like so it's not a big deal. With the YS90, I have 12 power settings. By looking at the LCD monitor, I can tell if I need to dial it up or down a notch. And I usually only need to change power settings when the ambient light changes, such as going deeper.

Also with the fiber optic cable connection, there is nothing to flood, yet it is very secure and stable. I don't have a sensor that has to be aimed at a certain spot nor the worry that it will stay there.

But, as you will see, S&S and Ikelite both have their fans who prefer them! Both are good products, each with a different set of features.

Also had a look at some of your pics in the link that was on your post. Great pics form the C4040. Looking forward to the day when I can do similarly.

kawabunga0 once bubbled...
Also had a look at some of your pics in the link that was on your post. Great pics form the C4040. Looking forward to the day when I can do similarly.

Thanks...You're too kind. It just takes practice and patience. And did I mention practice?!? I'll look forward to seeing your in the future!

Back
Top Bottom