C5050 question: media

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewTODiver

Reaction score
I'm going on a 2 week trip and will have no facilities to save data for that time (don't own a laptop). I was thinking that I could dive with a 128 xd card, then transfer my photos to a 512 CF card back at the hotel. Then I would erase everything on the xd card and dive with it again. Does running the C5050 with only the xd card use less power than using the CF card (or having both in at the same time)? I was hoping that with the use of an xd card and 2100 mah batteries that I could get 2 morning dives out of it without opening the case and changing batteries or media. Am I totally off here?

I'm only starting out on this underwater photography thing, so I don't have a strobe.

Thanks for any input.

Costco has 256MB compact flash cards for $40. I bought three. Each one gives you 200+ pix. Unless you shoot everything that moves you probably would get a couple dives on one card.

Switching them is not a big deal. Just dry off the housing, after rinsing it with fresh water, and then open it with the lens facing up. Having it on your lap with a dry towel under the housing makes this easy. That way no water will run into the housing. Pull out the mode button and the camera will drop onto the towel. Flip over the housing and dab out any moisture.

Costco also has (for $40) a Ni-MH quiick charger and 4 NiMH 1950mAh batteries. You can be charging one set of batteries while you dive with the other.

I assume you're using the PT-015 and can turn the camera off between dives. I've got a 256M CF and a 128M XD card. It's a waste of time and power to copy from one to the other. The only advantage that the XD card has it the panorama feature -- very unlikely that you will be doing that underwater. And since it's a simple button press to switch from one card to the other, just load them both up. You'll have all the storage that you need and won't have to open the case.

If you're really concerned about power, turn off the display until you're ready to compose the shot. I'm not sure how may shots you'll get with the display on constantly, but I've gotten a couple of hundred just using the viewfinder without running out of battery power.

With 2100's, I would think you should be able to get a couple of hours of shooting without any problem if you're even a little conservative.... Don't turn it on until you're down.... turn it off on the way up.... If you're in 'travel mode' to the reef, turn off the display. You can always point and shoot for anything unexpected, and then turn the display on for shots that you actually want to compose.

Best thing to do is load up both cards and walk around your neighborhood taking pictures. See how many shots you get. You'll not only get a good feeling for how long the power will last, but if you actually try to compose the shots, you may end up with some unexpected gems.

Have fun. Learn lots. Let us know how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom