C5050 is the end ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Follow up:
Today I must say Olympus did stepped up and stood behind their product.
As you know I had a pt-015 housing go bad and felt it was a factory flaw. I sent the housing away expecting to get the "IMPACT DAMAGE" beyond economic repair line.

Bottom line
They sent me a BRAND NEW housing no charge
Looks like they still have stock or are making more of them for warranty.
The box has Japan markings all over it.

I did send a very detailed letter along with the damaged housing and had a case # before shipping and feel that may have helped.
I sent the old housing out on July 11 and got the new one today July 26.
In my book I could have not asked for or received better service.
This was handled by the New York repair center.

Looks like the life span of my 5050 setup maybe longer now that I ever dreamed 2 weeks ago.

Cardzard--That's great news!!!

I just had Ann Marie pick me up a sp-350. Hope to use it before we go to Honduras. Talk to you later.

Hi Jim
Thats great news and I can tell you there will be plenty to take pictures of in Roatan.
Great to hear from you and we are looking forward to the trip also. Just a little over 2 months to go.

Later
Dennis

JDog:
Cardzard--That's great news!!!

I just had Ann Marie pick me up a sp-350. Hope to use it before we go to Honduras. Talk to you later.

herman:
I know what you mean. My 5050 just started having a problem and it's in the shop. In looking for a replacement, I realized that maybe getting the 2 x SP-350s and housing is a better idea than finding another used and questionable 5050. The displays are bigger, more megapixels and from what I can tell pretty much the same in operation. Guess I will make up my mind this week, got a trip coming and if my camera does not get fixed real quick I am going to order a 350.

Herman,

Did you decide about the SP-350? If you PM me your email addy I can email you some pics I took earlier this month in Florida. It was my first time down with the camera and first time with digital u/W, they are really pretty good considering I am just learning.

I really like the SP350.

Tsea:
Have you considered Ikelite? see attached link http://www.ikelite.com/ best of luck. I went through a similar deal when trying to buy an Olympus C-7070 for diving.
Tsea

The Ikelite housing for the C-5050 was the 6130.55. WAS. It is discontinued and I can't find it at B&H or Helix. Not surprising, because the c-5050 camera has been discontinued for many years. Too bad, it was one of the best. I have both the Olympus and Ikelite housings for my C-5050, and prefer the Olympus housing because it is easier to change batteries on. Never had a flood, but it is difficult to get the replacement O-rings now, so it's probably close to retirement. The 5050 is backup for the 7070 I have been using, so I guess I am not sweating it too much.

Ikelite's line of housings for Olympus is listed here.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camolychart.html

Since the other C series cameras are discontinued, Ikelite might discontinue the housings for them too. I can't blame Ikelite, the volume goes down so they are not economical to make. But if you are considering going to Ikelite for a C-5060, C-7070 or C-8080, you might want to purchase soon.

LindaBluedolphin:
Herman,

Did you decide about the SP-350? If you PM me your email addy I can email you some pics I took earlier this month in Florida. It was my first time down with the camera and first time with digital u/W, they are really pretty good considering I am just learning.

I really like the SP350.

No I did not, my 5050 came back in time for my trip. So I should get a few more years out of it.

slowhands:
Never had a flood, but it is difficult to get the replacement O-rings now, so it's probably close to retirement. The 5050 is backup for the 7070 I have been using, so I guess I am not sweating it too much.

i havent had any problems getting o-rings for my housing, but then im ordering them from yuzo from UWdigital in japan. when i order i get a set or two (i order about once a year) so right now i have 2 sets of orings that are backups to the set thats in the camera right now.

FWIW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom