C5050, C5060, Which one should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cheongkc

Reaction score
C5050, C5060, which one should I buy? Is F1.8 useful than wide angle underwater. I am really confused. Please give me some ideas. Thanks

Hi,

I bought the C 5050 last weekend together with the PT-015 underwater house.

I have been reading comments, documentation, a lot of internet sites, pro's and con's given by (I hope) experienced users... All this very intensively during more than a fortnight.

The major reasons why I decided to buy the c5050 and not the c5060 were:

- The F/1.8 lens -
- The ability to use AA batteries
- The proven quality

Hope it will help you a bit.

I have brought the C5050 and the PT015 housing. I feel that the housing seems to be very big. Is it difficult to take photo under water with that housing?

Been an Oly digital user for almost 6 years - a long time with the 3000, then 3030, 3040, 4040, etc. I love the line. I've bolted all of these to my stroboframe with the FL40, etc, etc...

I moved into the e20 this summer. I love the e20 - have all the lenses, takes great shots, etc. The outfit is preposterously heavy to schlep around. Its redeeming virtue is its very flexible and takes great shots, but there is simply no way I'll ever spring the $2800 - $3500 for a housing for this beast.

I shoot a lot topside, and I really want to give it a shot (pun intended) underwater, but I can't see owning two complete rigs right now.

I was going through some of my images the other day, and I was thinking, "hmmm - I took some good stuff with that little 4040..." So I'm considering moving back to the P&S line - the 5050 or 5060 being logical choices.

I've been loosely following these discussions and threads for awhile, but I need to bust a move soon. I'll be lurking about and likely asking some really dumb questions soon.

BTW - so many of you post some amazing stuff..its completely inspiring.

K

Mbock once bubbled...
The major reasons why I decided to buy the c5050 and not the c5060 were:

- The F/1.8 lens -
- The ability to use AA batteries
- The proven quality

These are the major advantages of the 5050. The wide angle feature has yet to be given any reviews at all and since the housing is available yet, no one has had it underwater.

One thing to keep in mind is your main purpose for the camera. Not all digitals are suited for great underwater photography. If you'll be using it mostly for topside shots then you can overlook a few of the desireable or even less agrivating features. But if you're main object is underwater then go with the tried and true, the one that has alot of satisfied users who can also help you learned the system.

I waited over a year before moving up from my C-4040 to the C-5050. The advice and help I received from those who had been using this camera for that years was priceless to me. But if you're one of those who likes to have the latest/newest of something, then go ahead with the C-5060 and you can be our guinea, ahem.... our researcher. :D

Get real Oly. There are very few killers for me with digital cameras, but this is one of them. If it requires anything other than AA, I'll pass.

Unreal.

The 5050 is looking better all the time. I haven't seen the price drop I'd expect yet, now that the 5060 is in the house. Maybe after the holidays.

I like some of the manual features that are being built into the C series, and the 5050 has the shoe for my flash and my frame.

AAUUGGHHH.... too much to think about.

K

Mo....I don't expect the 5050 to drop much more in price. The 5060 isn't being grabbed off the shelves like Oly expected. Folks who were waiting to see what the 5060 was all about have decided to go with the 5050 so they are being scavenged with a vengence. So there's no reason to lower the price when their popularity hasn't wained with the release of the 5060.

So I'd grab a 5050 now while you can still find them.

Back
Top Bottom