C & C Which is the better crop and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a shot of a Male Kelp Greenling, taken on Outer Chase reef last Saturday. After cropping it two different ways, I couldn't decide which I liked better, the Original, the vertical crop or the horizontal crop. What do you think, and why?

Original
PB140005-01pssm.jpg

Horizontal crop
PB140005-01crop2sm.jpg

Vertical crop
PB140005-01cropsm.jpg

I like the vertical crop. It highlights the Kelp Greenling.

Ron

Is it OK if I like the original best?

I like seeing the fish and the world the fish lives in, in context, thus my love of wide angle. Cropping it down may focus on the fish but it loses the context for me, sorry.

N

I also like to see the fish in his environment and would take the original and cut of about 1/6th of the bottom and 1/6th of the left side. That would make the foreground less dominant.
So a bit less then Larry's horizontal crop.

K.

I like the original best too. It's not a close enough shot to be totally focused on the fish so I personally would go for a wider view of the environment and do no cropping.

But if you must crop, not a fan of the vertical. So I guess

1. Original
2. Horizontal
3. Verticial.

Is it OK if I like the original best?

I like seeing the fish and the world the fish lives in, in context, thus my love of wide angle. Cropping it down may focus on the fish but it loses the context for me, sorry.

N

I agree with this.

I like them all, but prefer the vertical, but I would have shifted the whole frame to the right. The idea being that we get to see more of the environment in front of the fish. I like to include the implied line of sight of the fish as a compositional element. Something like this:

LarryC_Cropped.png

I've been cropping more and more as time goes on. I guess I look at a potential crop and ask if anything that I'm cutting off adds to the photo. In many cases there is a lot of space around my subjects that does not add very much to the photo. In this case, there is a lot of sea and stones that are around the fish, but if the focus of the photo is on the fish, removing some of the rocks and sea focuses attention on the fish.

Thanks for all of the input. Like Nemrod, I liked the original. I know, "Shoot up, get close, and when you think you're close enough and shooting up enough get closer and shoot upper." I like dramatic black backgrounds that accentuate the subject, and the big blue negative space, but I find the subject to be more interesting in it's environment. My problem with the original was that I felt the rock formation on the far left of the reef was kind of uninteresting and dramatically lit. This seemed to make it draw interest away from the rest of the shot. I agree somewhat with Kukuisa. My first thought was to crop just the offending overlit peak. Unfortunately, that seemed to put the subject square in the middle of the shot making it a bit more symmetrical than I would have liked. I liked the drama of the vertical crop, especially because the strong reds of the reef emanate from the lower left corner and both the background reef and the direction of the school bring the eye back to the upper left corner, creating a strong triangular movement. I also like Matt's crop, because the crevice between the two sections of reef creates a similar movement, which prevents the eye from fixing on the subject, even though snout is dead center of the composition-normally a no-no. The fact that the fish is slightly below the vertical center helps, I think.
The odd thing is, when I shot the picture, I was P.O.'d because these Greenlings are flighty, and I had him perched on a rock directly above me with the WA lens on and the settings ready to shoot. Just as I squeezed it off, he took off and did a U-Turn and I was sure I was going to get another fish butt. When I converted it, it turned out to be my favorite shot of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom