C&C : Photos from the Belize Aggressor - May 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm no photography expert but even I can tell those are excellent quality photos. You're showing me a Belize that I haven't seen so vividly. Very nice.

I'd hang it on my wall' appeal, the squid shot & the 2 hermit crab shots were quite striking.

Hey Richard,

Yea, a lot of these are on my wall, actually! Here's one more from another trip that's printed 24" x 36" on a big wall:

IMG_2285.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As my shots improve and my tastes change I take old prints down and put up new ones. I look at some of the ones I took 2 years ago and laugh at how horrible they are.

Thanks!

-Charles

---------- Post added ----------

It took me time to work it out myself but sadly this is what happens
When the flash then fires in TTL it makes the 1/60 right by shutting off very quickly

Interceptor,

I have confirmed your description. It actually WILL change the shutter speed. Eventually. I had to go up to ISO 1600 before it would go to 1/80. In the meantime it was just reducing the flash output to correct for the exposure. Jeez, who knew? BTW, the built-in flash behaves exactly the same way. However, it is not based on the focal length and/or movement of the subject. It's purely based on the light meter in the camera.

I want to do some more tests. I want to shoot the camera in Manual but leave the flash in TTL and see if that'll get me what I need. I'd see your point about the shutter speed but I know I want some ambient light in most of my shots. I don't want the background to be blacked out for every shot. For example:

IMG_2607.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This shot needs the ambient to give it depth. I like that in a lot of photos. That said, your description of "How to Shoot a Juvenile Spotted Drum" makes perfect sense. I don't think I've ever seen one in a spot where I could get any blue in the background so I might as well depend solely on the strobe for illumination. Raising the shutter speed would really freeze him. Now if he'd just sit still long enough for me to get the shot...

Thanks!

-Charles

Last edited:
You are welcome, between ISO 1600 and ISO 200 it is in fact 3 fstops...

I am not sure if the G12 supports TTL in manual with your set up, if not there are workarounds let me know if you need help

That said consistent good pictures as it comes very well done

I am not sure if the G12 supports TTL in manual with your set up.

It doesn't. I tried it last night. Once you put the camera in Manual, it's ALL manual, including the external strobe.

I have already set the upper left button on the back to control the flash power and I'm going to setup a couple of presets under C1 and C2 to get the camera close to where it needs to be for full manual shots. I'll probably stick to Av for most of my work since it seems to be producing good shots though.

Thanks!

-Charles

Dammit Interceptor! I swore when I bought this camera I wasn't going to do firmware hacks. Now you've got me looking at them...

Why not? I don't understand why canon has this limitation when the camera can do it and also very well
There are also other benefits of the hack including an accurate battery meter and real time zebra display for overexposure and hotspots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom