C-5060 vs A80... Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpacilio

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was down to the wire and about to press the buy button on my computer (for the 5060) when I saw some picts made underwater by the A70 (although I'd get the A80). Went back and researched again and I'm stuck for which one to buy. I found both camera's for good prices (319-Oly, 259-Canon) so the cost is not an issue. The canon offers size and ease of use while the Oly gives me 5 vs 4 megapixels and a slightly wider lens. I'm buying the manufactures housing in either case. I know there's a big OLY club here but I see plenty of Canon fans as well so I'm hoping for some help. I'd like to buy it in the next few days but I don't want to buy one and then regret it. The biggest problem I have is that I can't find the 5060 in any stores. I'd like to at least touch it if I can. I know that in the end I'll enjoy either one but I really like the A80's size for above water use.

Thanks

$319 for an Oly 5060? I'd check the review of whoever is offering it, sounds way too good to be true!

Alot depends on how you'll be using the camera and what you expect to get from it. If you plan to make prints, especially enlargements, I think you'll be better off with the Oly 5MP. You'll also be able to crop the photos and keep the resolution with 5MP. The wider lens is also a plus. If a smaller size, being able to keep it in a pocket, larger prints aren't a consideration, then you might be happier with the Canon. I'm not sure about the Canon but with the Oly all camera functions are available through the housing. You can use it as a simple point and shoot or it can grow with your experience to fully manual operations.

For underwater use it is important that ALL the camera's functions are accessible via the housing.
In addition to what Dee stated about megapixel comparison you should compare such features as: F stops, shutter speeds, optical zoom distances, macro mode, macro mode distances, manual white balance capability, and manual mode control over the features .
The "Auto" mode is not what it is all about for underwater use.

Dee:
$319 for an Oly 5060? I'd check the review of whoever is offering it, sounds way too good to be true!

Well....it is. This is for the non-us version which does not include the battery... charger...etc... just the body. I did find it for 429 (new us version) however and decided to suffer with a slightly bigger body on land and get the 5060. I'm off to ebay now to get the housing even though I don't have a trip planned. Guess I'll practice in the pool. :crafty:

I know Dee is a Oly fan so I have to give cudos for staying neutral... lol

Thanks

bpacilio:
Well....it is. This is for the non-us version which does not include the battery... charger...etc... just the body. I did find it for 429 (new us version) however and decided to suffer with a slightly bigger body on land and get the 5060. I'm off to ebay now to get the housing even though I don't have a trip planned. Guess I'll practice in the pool. :crafty:

Thanks

Since you say money was not an object, the oly is the best bet. If you dont want to add lenses etc, 27mm is a huge advantage underwater.

bpacilio:

I tried but it sure was hard! :D

Just to let you know, all of the camera's functions are available through the Canon housing and you can add strobes/lenses etc, too.

FWIW I was surprised the other day when a friend (who is selling her prints about 14 inches wide x whatever - can't convert this morning) showed me a photo taken with the A20, cropped and blown up. It was wonderful and if she hadn't said anything I would have thought it was taken with a much higher resolution camera. Her printer didn't want to do it as he thought it wouldn't work, but she said let's just see...and it's fabulous. Now, I am sure that wouldn't work for every photo, but just keep in mind that more MP isn't the world.

I don't think you can go wrong with either camera - lots of support here for both and the main considerations have been covered. Have a great time and post pictures soon!!

Well, like most kids I couldn't wait. After reading posts here and talking to some above water folks I went for the 5060. Got it online for 429.00 (US Version with all accessories). They upgraded me to 2 day delivery and the camera is sitting in the local DHL depot. They can't deliver it until tomrrow so guess where I'm going at lunch :14: Thanks to all. I expect I'll be back with all those hard questions like what the $*& is white balance... lol

BTW: Some folks asked where I got my prices.

mydigitalplace.com had the best price (429) for the US version of the OLY-5060. You can find the body by itself for 329 but you don't get a warrenty or ANY accessories.

You're going to have fun!

Be prepared to keep spending as you discover the need for more memory, a WAL, strobes, travel to exotic places to dive more...LOL

Welcome to our addiction!

LOL...Welcome to the dark side! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom