C-4000 advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster

Directional Toast
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a Nikonos III that I have used for about 10 years with my old SB103 (exploding strobe of death :) ) and current SB 105 strobe.

I also own an Olympus C-4000 that I am considering putting in a PT-010 housing. I have noticed that both wide angle and macro lenses seem to be available for the PT-010/PT-015 housings and am thinking that I could do just about as much with my C-4000 underwater as I could with my Nikonos III and not spend the $ on film and developing costs. I have also found I really prefer photoshop to the dark room when it comes to image manipulation.

I am curious about any advice or opinions anyone may have on the C-4000 and/or PT-010.

I am also wondering if it is possible to use my SB105 with a PT-010 housed C-4000. I know some cameras can trigger an external strobe off the light from the internal flash or primary external strobe but I am not sure what would be required or whether this would work with the C-4000.

I am also not sure what the PT-010 housing allows in terms of external stobes. Both the Nikonos and C-4000 use a 5 pin connector but they differ greatly in size. But given the general similarities I was wondering if a sync cord could be grafted together to make my C-4000 talk to my SB-105. The SB-105 is a nice strobe and I really do not want to have to spend big bucks to buy something else in it's class.

Any advice or assitance would be greatly appreciated.

If you go with a PT-010, there is no hotwire connection. You'll have to use a strobe suitable for a digital cameras pre-flash and will work as a slave off the cameras internal flash.

There are 3 major brands of strobes suitable for digital camera use. Inon Z-220, Sea & Sea YS90DX, Ikelite DS-50 and DS-125. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses as well as it's fans!

I don't have enough knowledge about the SB-105 strobes to say for sure but I don't think you can use them as slave strobes. You'll have to double check with Ike but I think your SB-105's can be hotwired to an Ikelite housing. I didn't realize the C-4000 had a 5-pin connector.

I'm far from an expert on Ikelite stuff....just ask Ike! :wink:

You could use the SB-105 as a slave strobe, set manually for partial or full flash. I'm not sure how you would set the camera to force the flash and NOT trigger the pre-flash. This works on the Olympus 5050 very easily. I have used the SB-105 as a slave, triggered by a YS90DX once and it worked OK but was more rig than I wanted to lug around, so I'm back to just the YS90DX.
TedJ

The C-4040 uses a pre-flash that cannot be disabled. The C-5050 has a slave flash function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom