Buying used manifolded doubles - considerations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what you did there, that's what I typed buy it looks like you quoted someone else?

At any rate, he said that the shop condemned the VIP on an LP108 (at least I think that's the size) and he got a hold of it and tumbled it. Took it to the hydro shop himself and it passed. He said it was very bad inside, but after a long tumble all was fine.

All I'm saying is just because it looks really bad it might be salvageable.

I agree... unless you're the one cleaning them. I own 6 sets of PST doubles and they're a little bit of a pain. Well worth the deal that I got on them though so I'll make do.

not surprised they would condemn a tank that's actually salvageable-- they're in the business of selling new tanks

not surprised they would condemn a tank that's actually salvageable-- they're in the business of selling new tanks

Agreed.

I found a guy who's selling some HP 100 Fabers for $200 apiece, hydro'd just last year.

Thinking I'll check these out to turn into doubles. They're painted (I'd prefer non painted), but if I can grab these and pick up a manifold + bands, I could save a few hundred vs. a new twinset.

Screenshot 2022-04-27 12.44.34 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-04-27 12.44.30 PM.png

I still think you're better off buying a set of doubles already done still in hydro... they're out there just have to be patient. The highest I've ever paid was $400 for a set of HP100's and they had 3 years hydro left. I know used prices have gone up, but I can't imagine paying more than ~ $500 for a set at the most.

With the manifold, the bands, the VIP and all that you're pushing $700.

Just my 2 cents, but my 2 cents would also never buy a brand new set of doubles for the crazy prices they're asking. Someone out there has a set collecting dust in a closet with your name on it.

232 bar Faber 100s

363 038a.jpg

So get the paint stipper out and strip

232 bar Faber 100s

View attachment 719727

So get the paint stipper out and strip

I've never stripped paint before so learning how to do that will be my next project.

Unpainted sounds good to help keep the cylinder in good condition, but honestly the white looks pretty damn cool to me so I'll probably keep the paint for a bit.

@Maxwelll keep the paint until it gets bad enough to warrant stripping. the painted fabers are spray galvanized, not hot dipped, which is a bit less durable so will wear out faster than the HDG version without the epoxy/polyurethane protecting them on top. touch up with ZRC as needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom