Buying used, a discriminating shopper's primer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you might have misunderstood me. My point was just to factor in the cost of a service before buying used and comparing costs. And that post-purchase costs will be the same around here regardless of whether you buy new or used, since I've never seen the "parts for life" programs offered in our part of the world.
Yeah, nothing worse than tossing good money after bad. I checked on costs when I sent in the Poseidon, it was $35 for the check and after, $35 for parts and adjustment. I will still do my in water checks regardless of who works on the reg.

And FTR, there's quite a bit of used equipment available around here. Only problem is that quite a few of the sellers have unrealistic expectations of what they can expect to get for the gear (which generally is somewhere around 50% of what they paid for it).
I see a lot of that going around here as well, I just laugh and pass on it. I just figure they don't want to sell.

If I'd known you in person, I might very well trust the reg you loaned me. When buying used from a person I don't know personally, nor ever dived with, I'm going to have the reg looked over and serviced by a competent technician before I take it underwater.

But my risk acceptance level is pretty low, and I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance.
My risk acceptance may be higher than yours, but I also like to know if the reg I'm using is not going to edge up the risk.

Last, but not least, with any reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude it is not difficult to learn how to check, adjust and repair your regs. With checks alone you can usually see a problem coming a long way before it happens.

Bob

Used regulators worth buying, it is a short list:

1. Anything from a major manufacturer that is still in current production (AL, SP, Hog, Atomic)
2. USD/AL Conshelf
3. SP109 set
4. SP G250 set with Mk anything first
5. Anything Voit or USD with two hoses on it :wink:
6. ?

Hmmm, I cannot think of a (6). Condition is everything. I do not buy junk unless it has a part I need and is priced like free.

Well, okay, any used Kirby Morgans or military Conshelfs (that are not beat to Hades).

Conshelfs are easy to service, SP109 apparently involve magic so I just happen to know somebody who has a supply of magic and gave my favorite 109s a once over to make sure they were up to par. Thanks.

Used gear, hmmm, all gear is used once it is out of the box and on you. What, some of you "life support" people buy new gear for every dive?

I almost always have a spare regulator ready to go (and extra mask and a fin strap, O-rings, tools) in my bag. I cannot recall ever using any of it (except O-rings) for myself. It is always the "life support" guys who show up with recently serviced stuff that does not work or leaks that wind up borrowing my "used" Conshelf or Titan.

Wink, wink, see, then when they are finished, bragging about how nice the old Conshelf did for them, that is when I get to tell them it has not been serviced in 10 years or more.

Safety is way over rated and so is regulator/equipment service.

N

Used regulators worth buying, it is a short list:

1. Anything from a major manufacturer that is still in current production (AL, SP, Hog, Atomic)
2. USD/AL Conshelf
3. SP109 set
4. SP G250 set with Mk anything first
5. Anything Voit or USD with two hoses on it :wink:
6. ?

Hmmm, I cannot think of a (6). Condition is everything. I do not buy junk unless it has a part I need and is priced like free.

Well, okay, any used Kirby Morgans or military Conshelfs (that are not beat to Hades).

Conshelfs are easy to service, SP109 apparently involve magic so I just happen to know somebody who has a supply of magic and gave my favorite 109s a once over to make sure they were up to par. Thanks.

Used gear, hmmm, all gear is used once it is out of the box and on you. What, some of you "life support" people buy new gear for every dive?

I almost always have a spare regulator ready to go (and extra mask and a fin strap, O-rings, tools) in my bag. I cannot recall ever using any of it (except O-rings) for myself. It is always the "life support" guys who show up with recently serviced stuff that does not work or leaks that wind up borrowing my "used" Conshelf or Titan.

Wink, wink, see, then when they are finished, bragging about how nice the old Conshelf did for them, that is when I get to tell them it has not been serviced in 10 years or more.

Safety is way over rated and so is regulator/equipment service.

N

If you don't mind dealing with an increased complexity factor, I would add the Scubapro D-series and its predecessors, the Air1 and the converted Pilot. And, if you are willing to take on yet a higher level of complexity, there is the original Pilot. These are some of the best breathing regulators (almost noticeably better than a well tuned Balanced Adjustable) and most service parts are still available. Only real parts problem is diaphragms/exhaust valve for the set of predecessors; but they do occasionally show up on ebay.

But the chances of getting them serviced in an LDS are slim to none. Most can't. Some won't. They would rather sell you something new. If you can find a bay boomer service tech, you might get lucky.

What we really need is a good regulator recycle facility (aka, junk yard).

I agree with AWAP that any Scubapro D-series, Air 1 or converted Pilot (which is an Air 1 in a chrome Pilot housing) in good shape is worth having, as they are readily serviceable. The Pilot is another thing altogether. It's the best breathing regulator (by a good margin) I've ever used, but almost impossible to service unless you do it yourself. Though not fundamentally hard to understand, there are 55 parts in it, with only about 11 being "common" or non-essential. Some parts are quite small, like the pilot pin, or fragile, like the pilot spring. Scubapro service technicians haven't been trained on them, nor regularly serviced them for a generation. 99% of them would probably not even attempt service. There are a few folks who had enough foresight to have acquired service parts, but none do commercial work AFAIK.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom