Buying online/overseas/debit and credit card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Many divers have questions about buying online. I will not pursure the moral/ethical arguments of doing it on this post. I am someone who has purchased quite a bit of "kit"(English phrase that I like) online and I have had an experience that I would like to share with others who are going to engage in international commerce.
In June of this year I bought about $1000.00 worth of dive gear from DiveInn in Spain. I put it on a credit card which I had gotten specificaly for this purchase. I did not know DiveInn and didn't want them to have access to my checking account by giving them my debit card number. The transactions with DiveInn were wonderful and I paid the credit card off and then cancelled it. This week I decided to get a dry suit and trusting DiveInn I used my debit card. Looking at my checking account today I see a debit for $13.89 for currency conversion fee levied by my "good friends" at Wells Fargo Bank for all the effort they expended changing those electronic pesos into electronic dollars. The difference between my first and second purchases at DiveInn were the use of a "credit card" and the use of a "debit card" respectively.
Now, while the $13.89 is not a lot of dough, considering I paid $700.00 for the whole "kit"- it is an unfortunate and unessecary(can't spell that word) expense. I will argue with Wells Fargo about this one but I'm sure they have some fine print, somewhere that says that there will be a fee imposed for international transactions. I am sure all banks do this.
Moral: Don't use your "debit" card use a "credit" card. There should be no currency conversion fee on the later. In addition, you have a month to pay for your high priced "kit" and if somthing goes wrong with your purchase the retalier hasn't already been paid so it gives them an incentive to solve the problem.

Mike

I'm afraid you're going to run into the currency conversion fees on just about any card you use. If you find a card that doesn't charge, let me know because I spend a fair amount overseas on a regular basis.
I've been told that American Express charges the least, so I'm going to try out one of their cards on some of the upcoming orders.
The "exchange fees" are something you won't even see advertised on anyone's website (or even the fine print), ya gotta ask up front.

Actually, it sounds like you are talking about a checkcard that looks and acts like a credit card, that is until someone takes it. With a cc you are liable for 50bux, and the company eats the illegal charges. On a checkcard, you lose the cash in most instances until you prove you did not do it. If they overdraw your account, go into overdraft, you bounce checks, etc. you deal with it and it can be a night mare.

Anyway, doubly, triply, do not give people direct access to your account.

At least with a debit card they have to get your # also.

Tommyh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom