Buying my first tanks 15l (125) v 12l (100)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one Faber steel 15 L tank rated at 232 b.

Biggest problems are getting buddies that can match the bottom time and fitting them into the tank compartments on dive boats. Nitrox fills cost extra.

You posted this in the 'basic scuba discussions'. I'd say get your advanced cert before getting the 15 L tanks if you don't already have one.

I normally use Nitrox and this extends your NDL which can often become a problem with increased bottom time using air.

Check your tank strap will hold one adequately. I've had mine fall out once or twice. I've got the Aqualung Pro QD BCD and the strap is only just long enough. I used a cable tie for a while to hold the strap in place.

A lapse in concentration can easily result in getting bent with a 15 L tank. I've come close a few times just by adequately failing to monitor time left to NDL while diving with air.

The bigger you are the more air you typically use. When I first started using one it seemed a bit easier to roll than the 12 L tank. Now I don't notice any difference. I'm around 190 cm and 95 kg and find the tanks relatively easy to handle. I don't have any problems with trim or with it hitting my neck. It restricts your movement through narrow passages a little which can be an inconvenience when chasing crayfish.

I finds it extends dive time on the 12 L tank by about a quarter.

I like the idea of adding weight by using a bigger tank rather than adding weight to the weight belt.

I'm thinking of getting another one.

Foxfish, I have the probe and with 12L tanks I have to tuck the strap back into the bcd so it should be fine with a 15. I only have my nav dive left to do to finish off my advanced. I dont have my nitrox ticket yet, I hope to do the deep sometime in the not too distant future and my rescue as well but I am in no hurry at the moment, just enjoying the diving.

so far all my buddies are way more advanced than me so I am usually the one to come up first due to air, hopefully the larger tank would reduce this a bit as well as more practice.

Get the 15 ltr, I find it fits the probe bcd straps better than the thinner tanks. If you don't like it you will easily sell it as tanks in test and good condition hold their value good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom