Buying my first GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidkon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Costco (Canada) has the GoPro 3+ Black on sale for $379.99 and I am seriously considering picking one up. However I am wondering if I should spend the extra $80 and get the Hero 4 silver? I have not seen much feedback on the Hero 4 silver and was hoping for some user's opinions.

I was on their site and it was hard to discern the difference from one model to the next. I wish they had a chart to compare the features. I wasn't sure my level of interest justified the additional cost of the higher models, so I just bought a regular 3 for $199. I've never done photography either on land or in water, so it'll be interesting to so how it goes.

The GoPro 3 Silver was a GoPro 2 with an improved mic. The GoPro 3 Black edition offered a better lowlight capability.
The Gopro 4 Silver MIGHT BE a GoPro 3 with something little improved, whereas the Gopro 4 Black would be the real evolution.

OK... Let's take a look at the specs.

Both 3 Silver and 4 Silver offer the relevant 1080p60 format and a waterproof case.
GoPro 4 Silver is a bit faster (120fps max for slowmotion, or faster bursts. Neither feature really relevant for most diving videos).

You should compare the lowlight capabilities. Do you need 4K for cropping?

The Hero 4 Silver also includes the touch display but I am not sure how useful that would be. I will also likely use the camera for above water applications where it might be useful.

the new touch will not work when diving. the case is not compatable.

also, you will want to get the 4, as it has a better lowlight

The 4 Silver is an upgrade of the 3+ Black, having no relationship to the previous Silver lineage. It does have sufficient improvements that make it worth the extra. It has extended protune into the photo modes of the camera which gives better exposure control and white balance. The touch LCD (while not being usable underwater for anything other than framing) allows easier access to camera settings and menus. It also has improved timelapse functions, now allowing exposures up to 30 seconds in length. Will you notice any difference underwater, probably not. But on the surface it is a far more capable camera.

Ref: New Features of the HERO4, Understanding Photos in the HERO4, and Understanding Video in the HERO4

Ref also: New Features of the HERO3+

Besides the features that flareside mentioned, it's worth just for having the LCD screen included, buying it separate will cost around that much. If you can spend the extra money, go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom