Buying my 1st gauge. Suggestions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splash92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Another first purchase post.
Looking for a console style 3 gauge. Been looking at Genesis 3 gauge in-line console for $140. Any insight or advice? Thanks.

I think it's unnecessary to have a 3 gauge console. Your computer gives your depth, you don't need a redundant depth gauge.

Just my opinion

if you have a computer there is no need for a console. Depending on which reg set you go with, it may have the option of coming with one. One important thing of note is that most depth gauges and most spg's come from one company in Italy and aren't built by the actual reg manufacturers

If you plan to do a lot of overseas travel diving, consider getting a dual unit gauge combo (reads both US imperial and Metric units).

GP500 - IST Sports

I don't have a computer yet. But do plan on doing a lot of diving and will buy one in the near future.

Buy a computer first I'd say. For $140 you can buy a good second hand one. 3 Gauge consoles are bulky.

I think they're a hold on from the 1970's.
2 " Brass spg with a wrist mounted computer and a wrist mounted Suunto sk7 or 8 compass is hard to beat for ruggedness and practicality.

If, OTOH, you're OK with a bit less ruggedness (and bulk)... I wear my 3-gauge on my wrist: depth, gas pressure, compass, timepiece, logbook, and a deco table, rolled in one.

If you go tech, you only double up on that same tool, and use one small SPG per tank, still no 3-gauge console.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom