Buying mail-order... what do you do when you get the gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vmsgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
One option when buying gear from one of the local shops is that you can try it out in their pool.

What about when you buy mail-order? I'm not sure how keen the local shop owner is going to be with letting me try my new gear in their pool when I didn't buy it from him, and I'm not too cool on using the gear for the first time at my travel destination.

I've a trip to the Florida Keys in about a month, so the local diving options (Raleigh, NC) are rather limited at the moment...

Ahhhh.... the dilemma.

Options:

1. Try your gear in the bathtub
2. Find another pool (YMCA?)
3. Local reservoir
4. First use in Florida

Ahhhh.... the dilemma.

Options:

1. Try your gear in the bathtub
2. Find another pool (YMCA?)
3. Local reservoir
4. First use in Florida

1. Well, my bathtub is rather shallow... or am I missing something? I'm new at this.

4. Yeah, there's that, but I'd rather not find that something's missing or not working right as I'm gearing up to go on the first dive. Food for thought, though.

Well, that's why some of us make the case to buy from a LDS. I wouldn't suggest taking it in and asking to use the pool, however. You probably wouldn't get a reception you like. How about the neighbor's pool? Find a local condo. Check in for the night at the local super 8.

The bathtub will allow you to check for leaks. If the regs work dry they probably work wet. Fins are fins, and if you bought a mask online, woe be unto you.

Well, that's why some of us make the case to buy from a LDS. I wouldn't suggest taking it in and asking to use the pool, however. You probably wouldn't get a reception you like. How about the neighbor's pool? Find a local condo. Check in for the night at the local super 8.

The bathtub will allow you to check for leaks. If the regs work dry they probably work wet. Fins are fins, and if you bought a mask online, woe be unto you.

Hm, leak check in the tub. OK.

I already have fins, mask, snorkel, and boots. I "just" need the rest.

Very well. I'll get a quote from a place like Leisure Pro, then give the LDS a chance to come close, and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice.

In my area, the LDS's usually have an open pool time. Basically pay a fee and you are free to use the pool, or if you purchased your gear from them, its free. Its a way for them to make money and for people who have not purchased gear from them to have a pool to use. Good for tune-ups in winter before vacation, or just to get in some warm water over the cold winter months. I went down to a LDS in Eagan, MN. The shop attendant, I don't know if it was the owner or not was very accomadating to me. Nothing nasty tossed my way because I did not purchase any of my gear there, just help with a smile. I paid my fee, and was able to use the pool for as long as I needed. After I got done, we chatted for a while and I did end up purchasing a few things from them. Worked for me, and they are one of the local shops I check out before I purchase new gear.

I see you haven't bought your gear yet. This is a good time for you to go into the LDS and tell them what you are up to. LP's pricing is up for all to see, so you can go into the LDS with some knowledge beforehand. I am always upfront with the shopkeeper when I go in. I needed a steel backplate, and the shopkeeper showed me the only one he had in stock, a ScubaPro. I know that he can't work much on the price, but I'll be damned if I pay $400 when I can get a Dive-Rite from ScubaToys for $150. I was upfront and told him what I wanted and needed. Unfortunately, I needed it that day due to poor planning on my part, but was able to find a Hollis in the same town for $250. It's worth it to spend a few bucks extra at the LDS to use their pool, have them show you how to put your regs together, and help you get fitted in your BCD/Harness, at least the first time.

I know you aren't asking what to buy, but the HOG regulators are da bomb! Their backplate and wing aren't too shabby either. Maybe you have a HOG dealer near you? There's one in Charlotte and one in Camp Leguene.

I'm a DIYer and I purchase a fair amount of dive gear online or "used." The first thing I do when I get new gear is make sure that it's assembled properly and read the manufacturer's instruction manual.

Pool access isn't required to test out new dive gear. I've never tested out new or new-to-me gear in a pool. I've always done comprehensive dry land testing and then taken the gear out for real world testing in benign conditions in the ocean. Relatively shallow shore dives are ideal for testing out new regs/BCDs/drysuits.

When I first take possession of a piece of gear, I test it out on dry land first. That means that every single feature is checked out. These checks are identical to those that I perform during my pre-dive routine. Such checks should have been taught to you in your basic OW class.

For a BCD, look it over visually then test it functionally. Are there any rips/tears in the material? Are any plastic buckles broken? Are all the D-rings intact? Do all of the zippers work? Does the velcro hold securely? Is it adjusted properly for me? Does the inner bladder hold air for an extended period of time? Does the power inflater assembly inflate/deflate appropriately (inflate only when ON button is pressed; deflate only when exhaust button is pressed)? Do all of the dump valves activate/deactivate properly? Does the overpressure valve activate properly when the BCD is over-inflated? Do the tank cambands hold a tank securely?

For regs, you should be doing a set of comprehensive, functional tests -- the same set that you should be doing before every dive.
couv et al. have put together a nice checklist here on ScubaBoard.
At a minimum, you really need to do a cursory visual check, listen for leaks, do a vacuum test, and make sure that i.p. (must measure i.p. with an i.p. gauge) and cracking pressure (subjective breathing test) are reasonable. Bubble checks can be done by attaching the first stage to a tank, pressurizing the system, and submerging the first stage in a small bucket of water. You can also stick your face into some water to verify that the second stage breathes dry.

The vast majority of divers either don't know how to conduct these functional gear tests or are too lazy to do them on a regular basis. Unfortunately, most instructors don't teach their students how to do these checks. (Huge oversight, IMHO, and may indicate that a fair number of instructors don't have an in-depth understanding of how to really troubleshoot reg issues.) Since most beginning divers rent their regs, they should be doing these tests whenever they take possession of a rental reg. These tests should be done before the rental reg even leaves the rental shop. Doing the tests right away gives the rental shop an opportunity to fix any issues on the spot or replace the reg altogether.

Back
Top Bottom