BUYING FROM LEISURE PRO vs. THE LOCAL DIVE SHOP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my regulator I purchased it from the LDS(oceanic delta 4 and aqualung mikron for the wife).
For my mask/fins Leisure Pro

I think we should ban the next poster who posts this type of thread....

Or maybe magically force everyone to use the exact same terms for every single thread so that when people search, they get *every* post on the topic. :kiss2:

When you're new to diving, it's hard to know that you should be searching for the name of a specific store, or three different stores, or that Aqualung and Scubapro are the same company, apparently.

Was at LP about two weeks ago. The usual great selection, and terrific prices, on brand new equipment. It is very obvious that LP buys direct, in very large volume.

Any store who will not service equipment is just insuring that customers will be alienated and not come back. I brought my car in New York. My local dealer, here in PA, is more than happy to preform warranty repairs and routine stuff, oil changes, filters, etc. Just makes sense. It is a profit center.

I never understand why some LDS folks just never get it.

for my .02 worth...

I just went out to buy my gear at my LDS. I am a loyal sort and like to taken care of when I need to be taken care of. All of my gear could be had online for about $150 less (shipping included) after my LDS gave me a discount (compared my receipt with price on LP site). For the $150 extra, I tried on 8 different BC's, 3 regs etc... I even took my gear in the heated instore pool to make sure I was happy with it all. My LDS did not pick the gear for me but helped me with what would work best for me. They took all things into consideration, height, weight, bust size, ability to lose wieght in the next 6 months (or not), budget, etc. I ended up getting high end stuff but my LDS did not pressure me into paying the extra for this vs. the cheaper stuff they showed me.

For the difference in price, I got personalized service. They hooked up my reg, 2nd state, bd hose, and computer (I did not buy this at the store but the hooked it up anyway) for free. Showed me how to work the computer also. I feel comfortable knowing that if something goes wrong, I can call them up. If they cant fix it on the spot, I get a rental at no charge until it comes back. I get a dive shop that let my whole family discover scuba for free.

I will gladly pay the extra $150 for this purchase. That does not mean that I will always pay the higher price but given I only had an idea of what I wanted to buy today, and now, drying in my bathtub is a brand new set of gear, I am VERY happy. And will gladly shop at my LDS in the future.

And most divers would pay the $150 more, too, if they had access to a LDS like the one you describe.

However, the lds in my vicinity have little gear to try on or look at and little time to spend with you describing details of the gear they do have and no heated pools within miles! God forbid you want to try something they don't carry or a brand they don't sell.
The time spent with you is usually telling you how bad anything you buy on-line is and how you NEED to support them so they will stay in business.

Sadly, I'll bet this is more the norm...

I think it's pretty common for new divers to be faced with this choice.
Not knowing about all of the different options for buying dive gear, any Google search will soon reveal the internet options out there.

It doesn't take long to figure out the price gap between internet shop and their LDS's full retail pricing.

Do you pay full retail for other products that aren't dive related? I usually don't.

My opinion is this:

If my LDS can give me a fair price, I'll buy from them. I don't expect them to match Leisure Pro, but I'm not going to pay full retail either.
I'm not a sucker, I won't pay full retail, and be treated like one either.

Not every LDS operates this way. I've been to some that adhere to the full retail pricing model.....they don't get my business.

There are other LDS's that are more realistically priced, will have package deals, or have frequent sales. They are trying to earn your business, give it to them.

If my only choice locally was a dive shop that were rigidly priced at full retail, then I'd buy from Scuba toys, and have them service my regs.

If I had a dive shop that had a fair approach to pricing, then I'd give them my business.

LDS vs.online is not an easily resolved decision. No one else can really tell you what to do.
It depends on how the dive shops in your area are, really.

There are good and bad LDS's out there. Find a good one.....the bad ones lose my business, and I go to Scubatoys.

Luckily, I have a great LDS where I currently live. It's Micronesian Divers Association (MDA) located on Guam. Two tank boat dives for $38, $2.50 air fills, great prices on gear, frequent promotions such as a 5-star club ($75 per year) which includes 3 two tank boat dives, discounts year round, and member only sales. I love my LDS.

-Mitch

Last edited:
IMO it realy depends on the people in your shop. if they suck & you don't like the shop, then it won't matter. if they're good people who work hard to treat their customers right & you value having them there, then it does matter.

At mine, every reg goes to the bench to be checked out & tuned prior to leaving. All of them. I got to watch George set one up for me monday, a Scubapro Mk25/G250V set. After methodically checking 7 testing everything, he decided that while it breathed pretty good, it wasn't up to his standards & proceeded to strip the 2nd stage down. he found that the seat showed signs of wear, simply from being in a box unused for a period of time & replaced it. Then he was able to tune it to where he expected it to be.

I dunno if LP does this for each & every reg they ship. I doubt it, but that's a guess. I do know that George does, whether the customer is watching or not. He sees it as his rep being on the line.

They also came pretty damned close to LP's price for the set.

This shop is one of the good ones. I value them being here. They get 1st shot at my business. Sometimes they don't get to make the sale, but more often than not, they do.

I buy a few gewgaws from Leisure Pro, but my big purchases and the bulk of my money goes to my LDS.

Their expertise, friendliness, attitude and genuine concern for their divers can't be replaced on line. They have customers stop in just to visit, and they're always made to feel welcome.

Back
Top Bottom