Buying equipment on Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When visited Phuket 2 years ago, I stopped at big divestore in Phuket - no way they can beat Scubatoys or LP.
I live in Brunei and travelling frequently to Singapore and KL but always purchase my gear from these two on-line shop. Even after add shipping cost and import duty - still much cheaper than local/regional price.

They only shops that I know of are All 4 Diving which carry Aqualung and a little Tusa. You also have Dive Supply which carries Seacsub and lastly Divers Emporium aka Planet Scuba and they only carry Mares. You can find what you need on the island but be prepared to pay alot. You will get 15% off since you are doing you DM but you will still end up spending alot more in the long run then if you were to buy in Europe or from the US. By the way where are you planning on doing your DM at?

There is a place on Koh Tao that makes custom-fit/tailored wetuits. Because it is local manufacture, it is very cheap. Everything else is imported, so unless you are getting instructors discount, it will be more expensive.

Don't buy anything direct from the shop. Ask at your dive shop...and the instructor can negotiate you some discount.

Thanks for all the great and helpful responses, everyone!

Looks like I'll be trying to put together my gear off-island... On-island there seem to be decent prices for safety sausages and dive slates, but that's about it!

I'm planning on doing my DM at Scuba Junction. Smaller shop, great folks, very professional... (I'm looking for a bit more individual attention than I figure I would get at one of the bigger places). Only sort of bummer for me is that they don't go to Sail Rock and of course the slightly less social aspect of a smaller outfit.

Thanks again for the help.

~K.

It seems like there is a high high import duty on items considered luxury here in Thailand.

Generally prices for scuba gear (and computer and camera gear too) are jaw dropping-ly high compared to the US with the baht getting stronger every day there is even more of a price disparity. I highly suggest you make all of your purchases at home and bring them with you. Even with student discounts here you will still much much more here with very few exceptions that have already been noted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom