Buying Equipment for Travel - Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Yes. I am a newb. Sorry for the lengthy question. Just want to be sure I get this right.

I just completed my open water class and am planning a 2 week trip to central america where I plan to do 4-5 nonsequential days diving (Mexico, Belize, Honduras). I own a mask, snorkel, fins and a three quarter 3mm wet suit I use to surf.

But I want to know what else I NEED to buy for travel trips like this. I dont plan to dive locally.

Please keep in mind that I am willing to rent if/when necessary to lighten my gear load (backpacker). But I also know that some things you just cant (or shouldnt rent).

2 things I "think" I should own are a regulator and dive computer (preferably a wrist watch style like a sunto or XR1). What about a BCD? Rent or own ? Travel with a wetsuit or rent? Weights?

Thanks!

Every dive shop will supply weights and tanks. No need for those.

I think that a good arguement can be made for any other item of equipment. I backpack also (or just generally travel with a rucksack and diving gear). I take everything.

Firstly, there is kit you can rent...and kit that you cannot. I don't see many dive operations renting out stuff like DSMB and reel. Every diver should carry one of those. An oral inflate DSMB and finger reel aren't expensive and should be considered. Likewise, a whistle is a good option.

Here's the rest:

1) BCD.Easy to hire, but all too often these are well-worn and can be beyond safe levels of wear. You can get a relatively inexpensive, but decent lighweight travel BCD, such as the Zeagle Express Tech, which will cover all your diving needs. Alternatively, look at modular BP&W systems. These are great for travel and are entirely 'future proofed' against your later development in diving. Choose a lightweight aluminium or nylon backplate. Here is a small travel wing" Oxycheq 18 and a travel backplate to go with it : Ultra Lite Travel Plate. Badly fitting BCDs contribute a lot to the feeling of 'awkwardness' felt by many novice divers. Getting your own (especially BP&W) will mean you have a tailored solution that will soon start feeling like a second skin.

2) Regulator. A good regulator is the core of any scuba system. Having your own reg brings peace of mind. Rentals can, again, be unreliable. Stick with a core brand (Apeks, Scubapro or Atomics), but you don't go for the top of the range.

3) Dive Computer. Some shops rent dive computers, but rental is expensive. Using a dive computer allows much more freedom as a diver (less feeling of reliance on the dive guide), more peace of mind... and will increase your bottom times (due to multi-level profile calculation). I also find that a dive computer can increase your awareness of depth-time-NDL, providing it is not used thoughtlessly. If you want a small 'watch' style wrist computer, the Suunto D4 is a good all-rounder. I use a D9... the electronic compass sometimes comes in very handy when out of the water (like when I got hopelessly lost in Hanoi).. or go trekking.

4) Camera + Housing. People often overlook this... but a housing for your camera can really boost your enjoyment of diving. Underwater photography is a hobby in itself...and you get to take the memories home with you (and make your facebook albums seriously more interesting for your friends). Depending on your existing camera model/brand, the OM underwater housings are usually quite cheap ($2-300).

5) Fins. A good set of fins can really improve your diving enjoyment. I love ForceFins... less effort, good power...and easy to pack for travelling. If you like your existing fins, then take them :)

6) Wetsuit. The easiest item to rent and the least safety implications. If you will be diving in hot climates/warm water, then this isnt a critical item. You could consider an alternative, such as 4th Element "thermocline' clothes... they are as warm as 2-3mm neoprene, but VERY lightweight, quick to dry, machine washable and neautrally buoyant! I use these for all my travelling in the tropics. If your current wetsuit fits you well and keeps you warm, then take it.

7) Torch. A small diving torch can be useful - for investigating nooks and crannies, signalling or night diving. A 2xAA LED torch for scuba is quite inexpensive. I normally take a small torch when I am travelling anyway... so getting an LED diving torch kills both birds with on stone. Have a look at 'Aquatech' Aqua-Star 1W torches... which offer great value.

I bring everything with me as I think that there's no substitute for having dive gear that fits right and is in good working order. But, it also makes sense to rent some gear in the beginning so that you can try various models and later know what you're looking for.

The two items I would get right out of the gate though are a reg (I love Atomics) and a computer. As far as the computer, you should do a good amount of research. I don't particularly like diving with or diving with a buddy with a Suunto computer. Despite their nice form factor the algorithm is just too limiting, IMO. Personally, I like Oceanic computers for recreational diving. But, there are a number of good choices out there.

Good luck!

Sinclairworld

Hey there, Devon diver covers it pretty much.

I actually did a trip from Mexico down the caribbean coast to Hondurras mainly in chicken buses about 2 years ago beofre starting work in Costa Rica as an instructor and I took everything with me including course material, instructor manual and clothing for a year or so, it was a bit of a nightmare but manageable.

Alot depends on how you travel, if you're thinking about flights then weight is your issue and if you're thinking about land and sea then theives are your issue. Mexico and Belize are the safer of the countries you will visit and things will get shadier the closer to Honduras you get. You will undoubtadly be heading for the Bay islands which are safe enough but if you are planning to travel accross land then I definately suggest you avoid bright shiny dive bags that advertise expensive gear.

As above, tanks and weights are a given, you get these from the dive centre. If you think about getting your own regs then make sure they are yoke as central america rarley caters for DIN.

You will find some places where the DM incharge of you may not even have their own computer or SMB so I'd surely think about these, a computer is a pretty good idea to get early on.

In hindsight I probably would not bother taking fins unless you want the possibility of going snorkelling without renting kit. I would certainly like to have my own regs and BCD.

Camera is a great suggestion, see what housing you can find for one you have already if possible.

Remember your personal limitations, you will easily find companies that will happily take you to the bottom of the blue hole in Belize but as it is 2.5 times deeper than you are certified for I would avoid the temptation.

Any equipment that you do rent, always be sure to check it out and ask stupid questions. There are some really good dive centres in that neck of the woods but some total muppets too.

While in Mexico try to get to the Cenotes from Cancun, in Belize the best time I had was on Caye Caulker which was an unreal experience both in the water and out, words can not describe the fun that was had on that island.

Utila was a bit of a let down out of the whole trip.

Good luck, safe travells

I would also get my own 3 mm full suit or a skin. Typically, tropical destinations only rent shorties and I prefer to have more protection against things that sting than that.

Remember your personal limitations, you will easily find companies that will happily take you to the bottom of the blue hole in Belize but as it is 2.5 times deeper than you are certified for I would avoid the temptation.

Yep...good advice. I was working in Belize (military assignment) back in 2006 and got the chance to skip away from the jungle to spend a weekend on the Cayes. The Blue Hole was the 'must-do' dive there (and a goal of mine for quite some time).

It was a fantastic dive, but was a little tarnished by the unease I felt by being surrounded by a gaggle of newly certified OW divers. No buddy teams, no pre-dive checks, no air checks.... At 45m, in the dark, over an abyss...sharks trailing us... narcosis....with the DM not paying a blind bit of notice....I ended up reverting to 'pro' mode and spent more time watching over the divers, than enjoying the dive.

If you dive Belize, then I am sure you will want to do the Blue Hole. There's no other dive on the planet like it. But, it's definitely worth getting some deep experience, and confidence, first.... and doing some comprehensive research on the potential dive centers, so that you can guarantee you'll be in safe hands.

Yeah, that was the same for me, people on the boat that did their open water a few years ago and not dived since dropping down to the bottom of the blue hole. The DM more concerned with looking cool as opposed to looking out for customers.

The boat briefing was the best "OK Dis da boat, dat de engine an dat de anchor" I thought he was joking untill he got up and headed to go smoke in privacy

Still, some exceptional diving.

Seriously - do not miss out on the cenotes in mexico!!!!

WOW. Thanks for replying this is awesome. Great advice guys - especially on Belize. The Blue Hole is definately on my 'to do' list but I certainly plan to get at least 3-5 dives under my belt before heading over there. Something about the words 'hole', 'sharks', 'third world country' and 'cheap' SCREAM get s ome more experience first :) I think I'd get a couple days in off Caulker first.

I would love to dive the cenotes and am told that there are plenty of centers that would let me with my OW but I dont want to exceed the levels of my experience... at least not too much on my first real trip. I am a caver, rock climber and canyoneer and I've more than once gotten myself in some **** because I 'thought' I was ready for something based my theoretical knowledge or what to do at that level. I travel to Central America a couple times a year so I'm willing to take it step by step.

As for the equipment - I will be backpacking and chicken bussing alot of my trip and camping in the jungles of guatamala. I do this sort of stupid **** alot so I am a real minimalist. I think this is the direction I'm heading -
- Aeris XR1 Dive Computer / Watch (I can use it as an actual watch if needed)
- Regulator (still hunting for the right brand/price)
- BCD (still hunting for the right brand/price)
- Knife

I will of course pack my mask but based on everything I'm reading and the words of wisdom I am getting from the group here, it sounds like I can rent everything else from a dive shop locally. I am even considering skipping out on the BCD and waiting until I have tried a couple more on.

But I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks again all for the insight!!!!

Having spent over a year travelling central America I would definately think twice about wearing the watch/computer constantly (like a watch) as it is big and noticable and will attract the kind of attention you do not want especially on and around chicken busses.

The cenotes are a huge network of caves but you do no have to go cave diving and therefore do not have to be cave certified. I did 6 dives there which were classed as cavern dives - the classification of this is that at any point during the dive you should be able to see sunlight. These were some of the most notable dives out of the 1000+ I have done to date. you can easiy do these on an open water certification. If you do do that then you may want to contact the guy that I went with he is called Alex and was an amazing guide to the caves, he should still be on the same email yukacaver@yahoo.com.mx

You can then get a bus from cancun down to belize city where you get a boat to caye caulker, the details of this are hazy as when I did it I met some dutch guys on the bus who had a couple of bottles of rum and were celebrating a birthday.

If you buy a knife then check in advance what your airline will let you take, I have never had a problem taking a BCD knife in checked luggage but I did get some plastic scissors removed from my checked luggage flying in to Mexico which I thought was wierd. Also technically you are not allowed to take knives in to the cenotes

OK the blue hole..... 3-5 dives under your belt does not prepare you for such a dive. You could do it as I said when I was there people were going to the bottom who had never dived beyond their open water course but just because it happens it does not mean it is a good idea. The blue hole is deep and normally full of sharks (though not hammerheads as I was lead to believe) and it can actually give low vis especially at the bottom where you will be narked (even if not visually noticable you will have impaired judgement and thinking) technically as a recreational diver you should do your advanced open water then your deep specialty to get you the final 10 meters.The nearest pot is a long way from the dive site and the infrastructure etc is not that good which would probably mean slow emergency response in the worst case scenario. The choices are yours to make but if you want the opinion of an instrucor with experience (more than 3-5 dives) get your advanced and a whole bunch more dives under your belt before going to the blue hole.

You could do it as I said when I was there people were going to the bottom who had never dived beyond their open water course but just because it happens it does not mean it is a good idea.

The Blue Hole is 412ft deep. I doubt anyone in your group went to the bottom. :wink:

The common dive plan is to descend down the wall, until it reaches the overhang (at approx 40m). Divers then get to experience finning through the giant stalactites for a few minutes before ascent. Safety stop is done at the top of the Hole, where it joins the shallow reef.

The blue hole is deep and normally full of sharks (though not hammerheads as I was lead to believe)

We were joined by about 6 large Caribbean Reef sharks at our max depth. They followed us up on ascent and were close-by swimming back and forth when we did our safety shop.

I was reliable informed that there are often Hammerheads in the Hole, but they congregate at deeper depths (70m+). This is the norm for Hammerheads, so it makes sense. It is logical to assume that the Hole offers them good shelter at their prefered depth.

Here is a good article on the Blue Hole: Belize, Blue Hole, Underwater Photography, Scuba Diving, Stock Images, Screensavers, Screen Savers, Eco-Photo Explorers, EcoPhoto, Eco Photo

Here is a good video of divers in the Blue Hole: Youtube Video - Blue Hole, Belize

That video quite accurately reflects my experiences diving there. You can note the DM who is way off in front of the group...not looking back. You can see that the group is very scattered, at different depths...most of them with no computer or timing device. You can see the low standard of diving skills of the divers in the video... not in any way ready for a wall dive, in low viz to 45m... Scary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom