BUYING Canon S95 Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

josephn5833

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm looking to buy a Canon S95 underwater camera setup that includes camera, preferably Recsea housing, lenses, strobes (interested in Ys-01), and more... Let me know what you have !

Lastly, I also have a Canon G12 that I am willing to trade or sell. The camera is like new and works/looks perfect. I'm selling it because I want a smaller camera that would fit in my pocket topside. Let me know if you're interested !

josephn5833 at sbcgobal.net

S95 setup is excellent. I have Fisheye FIX 95 housing. Great and versatile setup. I'm no selling, just reinforcing that you are making a good choice!

Divedoggie: I appreciate your encouragement! Do you have any advice/suggestions on lenses/strobes/trays for your the FIX housing? I'm looking into the Recsea housing but i'd like to know more =) Thanks !

S95 setup is excellent. I have Fisheye FIX 95 housing. Great and versatile setup. I'm no selling, just reinforcing that you are making a good choice!

Divedoggie: I appreciate your encouragement! Do you have any advice/suggestions on lenses/strobes/trays for your the FIX housing? I'm looking into the Recsea housing but i'd like to know more =) Thanks !

I prefer to keep it simple with my underwater photography. It all depends on your photography goals, but for me, less is more. I use the diffuser that comes included with the housing and no wet lenses.

The macro lense and the wide angle lense are very nice add ons. The camera is very versatile with macro and wide angle which enables the photographer to shoot both during a single dive. The closest macro shots and the widest fish eye shots are not possible without the external lenses, but then there are SLRs with massive trays and Multi external strobes and lenses that will do better for specific subjects and photographic goals.

Here are 2 samples, 1.natural light and 2.diffused built in flash:
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

Oops looks like they didn't post. I'll try again later.

Last edited:
I used the s95 for a two week trip to raja Ampat recently. the recsea housing, 2 sea and sea strobes a dyron dome and the recsea flip diopters. Used a 5-7 setup for the two strobes. All and all a spectacular setup which nearly rivals a dslr for half the dough. The dive guides loved the set up pointing to it and saying "this is good" so easy as compare to the heavy dslr rig other divers were carrying. On many occasions they borrowed it during dives to take photos and quickly came to experience the results. Have to say hats off ot the indonesian practicality and common sense. I at first thought that ttl was the way to go but quickly turmed to full manual. The key to uw photography is to get the right amount of light on the subject and to get close. The only down side to the s95 is that there is shutter lag which is to be expected for a PS camera. Frankly however this does not mean that much for reef scapes and some macro. these lenses are wet mount so you can switch back and forth during your dive. Forgot to add that the sola 600 focus light is great for night and is even helpful in day dives to find focus . All in all a really cost effective option for near DSLR results

I shoot with a S95 as well, great camera. I have the original canon housing now but it's temporary until I can afford the Recsea housing. I trust the Canon housings and have used them for hundreds of dives without any sign of leakage but they still look and feel a bit toyish. I also have a INON S2000 strobe which is a great compact strobe to go along with the camera. I've been recommended the dyron +7 macro lens if your into macro, it's supposed to give great results. All that being said, I originally bought the S95 as a replacement for my old camera and chose the S95 due to it's size. I have friends that shoot with the G12 and something about the sharpness they get even without a strobe almost makes me wonder what results I'd be getting if I'd gone with the G series instead. Ah, the joys of underwater photography.... everything costs too much.

I shoot with a S95 as well, great camera. I have the original canon housing now but it's temporary until I can afford the Recsea housing. I trust the Canon housings and have used them for hundreds of dives without any sign of leakage but they still look and feel a bit toyish. I also have a INON S2000 strobe which is a great compact strobe to go along with the camera. I've been recommended the dyron +7 macro lens if your into macro, it's supposed to give great results. All that being said, I originally bought the S95 as a replacement for my old camera and chose the S95 due to it's size. I have friends that shoot with the G12 and something about the sharpness they get even without a strobe almost makes me wonder what results I'd be getting if I'd gone with the G series instead. Ah, the joys of underwater photography.... everything costs too much.

Dlearyous, I agree with ya about the costs, especially on a college student budget. I'm also having a hard time deciding between G12 and S95. I actually do have the G12 (no housing) as a backup for my DSLR (used for casual events). But I'm nervous about it's flexibility for UW photography/videography in the future when I decide to purchase wide angle and macro lenses. For now though, I am planning to sell the G12 to fund the new s95 setup. Planning a minimal setup for now - just the Recsea housing and s95 to document my Australia trip through mostly HD videos. Nothing fancy yet =]

Does anyone know if lighting is a problem for diving 5-10 feet in the shallow coral areas? Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate your input very much.

Joseph

I prefer to keep it simple with my underwater photography. It all depends on your photography goals, but for me, less is more. I use the diffuser that comes included with the housing and no wet lenses.

The macro lense and the wide angle lense are very nice add ons. The camera is very versatile with macro and wide angle which enables the photographer to shoot both during a single dive. The closest macro shots and the widest fish eye shots are not possible without the external lenses, but then there are SLRs with massive trays and Multi external strobes and lenses that will do better for specific subjects and photographic goals.

Here are 2 samples, 1.natural light and 2.diffused built in flash:
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

Oops looks like they didn't post. I'll try again later.

I also like the idea of a minimal setup since it means less costs and less gear to mess with. Do you record HD videos with the S95 at all?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom