Buying a used tank question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guy is selling a used steel tank 72cf, for $80 comes complete with new valve and is in current hydro until 2015.

I think this is a pretty good deal however I have a question. The tank/valve are separated and the tank has a plastic cap over it. The tank doesn't have a vis sticker.

Is there anything wrong with storing the tank like this, should I be concerned that it he could be hiding problems by not having the tank valved/aired so that I can test it prior to buying it.

Thanks.

Easy enough to take a look inside. Just look and see if there is any rust. If so it may need a tumble. But if they hydro is current and it passes vis after the tumble should it need it ( no reason a steel 72 should not unless it's pitted badly inside) the tank will outlive you. Your kids will be diving it.

That's a great deal, assuming it's not pitted/rusted (as Jim said). Visual should not be more than $20 or so. I would pay $100 for a steel 72...

A friend of mine had a seller meet at LDS with the tanks saying if it passes Vis then buyer pays Vis and for the tank, if it fails seller is on the hook for whatever charges LDS applies and no sale. Easy enough, right?

The cap should have an o-ring to keep the tank sealed. I've seen tanks that look great on the outside, but terrible inside (and the other way around too).

jepp that should be it. If everything's fine you just got yourself a great deal! ;-)

If it is a steel it is a good deal if it is not bad on the inside. For a AL I would just spring for new as they run about $130 where I live ($30 more but a brand new tank).

I like James R idea.

I Have never payed more than $50.00 for a Stl 72 (I have quite a few, all with the plus )

If it needs a visual, bypass the dive shop & have the Hydro test facility do the visual. At least around here the Hydro places only charge 4.00 for just a visual (15.00 for a hyro & vis) and being DOT certified they know what they are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom