Buying a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diehl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting certified next month and tuesday I'm going to my LDS because I need to get my Fins which I chose the Mares Quattro{spelling} and was going to look at there Regs. They sell Sherwood Magnums and the Aqualung brands. I have read good things about the Aqualung Titan XL and the Aqualung Titan supreme XL what is the difference of the two? I will be diving in Florida only :colgate:

The Titan LX is a great medium priced reg for Florida diving. I own one.

First of all, congratulations in advance for getting certified!

I rented gear for a while before choosing my kit. Go try a LOT of different regs and BC's before buying. I probably tried out 20 different regs before deciding on what I have.

The Aqualung series are good ones, although I personally haven't tried them out. I know several people that have them and they seem quite happy with them. Of course the Sherwoods are good as well. Quite a few friends of mine have Bruts and Maximus regs from Sherwood.

But don't be in a hurry to buy regs. Try several out in the pool and in open water. A reg is meant to be USED in the water.

Hope this helps...

Randy Cain

I have purchased two regulators for myself during my years of diving. Both were suggested by the dive shop, and I have been satisfied with both.

My point is stick to popular brands and you shouldn't go wrong.

The only difference between the LX and the LX supreme is that the supreme has a heat seink on the second stage and an environmental seal on the first stage. This is meant for cold water use. Go fir the titan if the price is right...

I think I will get the Aqualung Titan LX. But a little confused on the mechanics of it? Some Regs are piston driven and like the titan its a diaphram?{spelling} :eyebrow: Which is better? And it says it comes also with a DIN adapter? What is Din? Is it something to do with Nitrox? And anyone that has one does it do well at any depth? Not that I would do anything like that until expierenced :wink:

Diehl:
I think I will get the Aqualung Titan LX. But a little confused on the mechanics of it? Some Regs are piston driven and like the titan its a diaphram?
Yes it is a diaphragm.
Diehl:
Which is better?
Do a search it has been discussed a hundred times. Basically each has its pros and cons. Pistons give better flow, while diaphragms are more durable.
Diehl:
And it says it comes also with a DIN adapter?
Just ask for a yoke version.
Diehl:
What is Din?
IT is a diferent type of connection for regulators. IT is more commonly used in the technical community and Europe. IT is for higher pressure and "captures the O-ring so it doesn't escape as easily as yoke. See DIN vs. yoke connection below
Diehl:
Is it something to do with Nitrox?
NO
Diehl:
And anyone that has one does it do well at any depth? Not that I would do anything like that until expierenced :wink:
IT is a good reg to grow with. It is a great performer at depth and excellent quality. Make sure you keep up the warranty by getting it serviced every year. You don't want to know how much the parts are otherwise....

Diehl:
I'm getting certified next month and tuesday I'm going to my LDS because I need to get my Fins which I chose the Mares Quattro{spelling} and was going to look at there Regs. They sell Sherwood Magnums and the Aqualung brands. I have read good things about the Aqualung Titan XL and the Aqualung Titan supreme XL what is the difference of the two? I will be diving in Florida only :colgate:

The "supreme" model is fitted out for use in cold water where freezing might be an issue. If you never intend to dive in cold water you don't need the environmental seal and lip shield on the molthpiece or the heat exchanger.

You can read up on these two reg on the Aqualung web site. (try google)
The titan's are very robust and you can't beat a lifetime warentt

Diehl:

We have 2 Sherwood Oasis and 2 Titans in our arsenal, and they are great regs for Florida and the Caribbean. My wife prefers the Oasis, and I prefer the Titan. Parts and service are available everywhere. They are simple regs which breathe decently to at least 130 feet, and are EXTREMELY reliable.
Two comments: We have both regular Titan and Titan LX (balanced second) and to be perfectly honest, I can't tell much difference in breathing to 130 feet. The plain Titan second stage is a little larger, and not quite so sexy looking, but considerably less expensive. Also, you will probably be buying an octopus with your reg. Do yourself a favor and buy a standard type octopus as opposed to a low profile one. You may have to use it yourself some day, and both the Sherwood Minimus (and Shadow+) and AL LPO are pretty hard breathers.

I agree with Randy.. Don't jump into anything without trying some different ones first..Rent different ones from other shops and enjoy the experience.. I have an Atomic M1, and apek and very pleased. I also trained with a Titan but I didn't like it..
The Aqua Lung Legend was also nice for the money...Just my 2cents

Best Regards, Rey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom